• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possibly Sick Piggie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these forums but I have a bit of a conundrum. My five year old guinea pig Fibi, who I have had since she was born, is having a lot of trouble breathing. I can see her sides move as she takes a breath, and I can hear her breathing. Her breathing is high pitched and breathy. She hasn't been moving as much lately, and she hasn't been eating with as much vigor as usual. She also is having difficulty defecating (not round pellets and extremely smelly). Her eyes and nose are watery and she has a crust under her eyes.

What can I do for her? I'm stuck at home due to an imminent snowstorm at the moment and can't really leave the house.

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your predicament! What horrible timing!

Can you place a steaming bowl of water next to her cage to help ease her breathing? Heaving sides (i.e. diaphragmic breathing) are usually indicative that she has got either got an atypical pneumonia/fluid filled lungs without any other symptoms or that she has got a fluid build-up in the chest cavity because her heart is under strain or failing. Without a vet listening to her chest and giving her a diuretic and if necessary an antibiotic, there is sadly only very little that you can do. It is unfortunately not the kind of news you want to hear when you are housebound for the next hours. :(

Please keep her warm and as comfy as you can. Iif it is her heart that is going, then even a vet can't do very much. Keep her company and make sure that nay companions can be with her, too. A dying guinea pig can sometimes fit shortly before it is passing away when the body is closing down. It can be very upsetting for an owner who is not braced for it. I am warning you about this as you may be faced with it in the coming very long hours while it is night here in Britain and we may not be able to talk you through it.

My heart goes out to you and Fibi. I am sending you big vibes!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for the advice! The roads aren't really safe to drive right now because freezing rain is on the way. Otherwise I would take her to the vet! I don't have any other pigs, just Fibi. I've had her since she was born, as my first guinea pig that I got from a pet store was apparently pregnant! Ginners (the first guinea pig) passed away in October, and it's just Fibi now.

Thank you for the advice! The roads aren't really safe to drive right now because freezing rain is on the way. Otherwise I would take her to the vet! I don't have any other pigs, just Fibi. I've had her since she was born, as my first guinea pig that I got from a pet store was apparently pregnant! Ginners (the first guinea pig) passed away in October, and it's just Fibi now.

I am so sorry! what mess! If you can, please stay with her or have her on your lap/chest for comfort.

I'm holding her on my lap while I do my math homework

I'm just kinda scared, she's been slowly eating the lettuce I gave her. I looked at her eyes and nose and her eyes seem watery and have a crust under them, and her nose is watery

Wishing you all the luck and hope that you can see vet soon.have just spoken to my mother in law in Ohio and she is housebound due to the depth of snow.

We will all be here as much as we can. Good luck and healing vibes to you both x

Wishing you all the luck and hope that you can see vet soon.have just spoken to my mother in law in Ohio and she is housebound due to the depth of snow.

We will all be here as much as we can. Good luck and healing vibes to you both x
Thank you! I'm not snowbound, but it's a guessing game as to when the freezing rain, and hence slippery roads start to appear. I'm going to try to get her to the vet as soon as I can. She's not breathing as frantically as earlier, which I hope is a good thing.

Can't advise anymore than seeing a vet I'm afraid. But thinking of you, must be very difficult when the weather is holding you back. Please keep us all updated.

x

Can't advise anymore than seeing a vet I'm afraid. But thinking of you, must be very difficult when the weather is holding you back. Please keep us all updated.

x
Thank you! I'm keeping an eye on her, I put her in her cage a few minutes ago so she could get some water and hay. The worst of the storm is probably going to hit overnight, but then the roads have to be cleared before safe travel is possible.

Agree that is best to get to the vet once it is safe too. The steam treatment that Wiebke has mentioned will help too.

Agree that is best to get to the vet once it is safe too. The steam treatment that Wiebke has mentioned will help too.
Thank you! I'm going to get her to the vet as soon as I can but that's not going to be until tomorrow at best because of the oncoming storm

sending you very best wishes - it is heart wrenching when a wee piggie is sick

This must be so stressful for you both. My thoughts are with you and your piggy, fingers crossed xx :hug:

Fibi is doing incredibly well! I took her to the vet a few days ago and she put Fibi on some meds, though I can't remember what it's rather early here! Fibi has been squeaking and running around even more the usual which is great because she's getting up in years. Part of me thinks she might have been a little lonely, she doesn't have a cage mate and I hadn't been able to spend very much time with her the past few weeks because of life being insane! I'm really glad she's doing better though!

Here's a picture of her during cuddle (or tolerate the human) time the other day! She was "helping" me with my math homework, though I think the only sort of math she knows is Fibi + lettuce = poop :D

I don't think the image upload worked, stupid phone. I'll try again in a few minutes

I have switched your picture to the full image option for you, for better viewing.
Fibi has lovely markings!

Reactions: Noa
I have switched your picture to the full image option for you, for better viewing.
Fibi has lovely markings!
Thanks! I love the marks around her face but I don't have a good picture of them right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back