• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post Dental Surgery Digestive And Feeding Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jema

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi,

My 4yold boy had some extensive dental work done a few weeks ago to correct wonky teeth (right back teeth over grow and left over worn)

He had lost quite a bit of weight and I had been syringe feeding 3 times a day after the op. After 5 days he started to eat on his own and the hand feeding was reduced. His gut was working well at this point and poos were nice and healthy.

About a week ago his poo became smelly, squishy and green. He also lost some weight but was eating and drinking fine. I changed his diet (more hay and pellets) and monitored his eating more. The poo became less squishy or smelly and are now going between soft and miss formed and dry/crumbly. He is a stable weight (over a kg) with some slight fluctuations. I'm waiting to take him to the vet tomorrow to get him checked out but wanted any insight you had on his digestive issues.

On another matter. He has become very used to and LOVES being syringe fed. I am still doing it (50 ml pellet mash) once a day to make sure he is not becoming dehydrated and does not loose lots of weight. Has anyone else found their piggy is fine of hand feeding?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Dental piggies can be hard to wean off syringe food! I would certainly continue until your have got the digestion sorted out. :)

Please continue to weigh your boy daily at the same time to monitor the food intake. I would recommend that you take him off any fresh food until his guts have stabilised again.

Your vet is likely to give you a gut stimulant (emeprid or metoclopramide) and perhaps some anti-gassing medication (zantac). It can be that the dental problem if it has been there for a while has impacted on the guts or there can be another issue, which may be pain related.

jema

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice! Hope it sorts it's self out soon! Poor boy!

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please let us know how he gets on at the vets. Agree with Wiebke on the gut meds, they may certainly help and did with our piggy after dental issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.