• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post Dental Work Recovery Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunlightsenpai

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First post, apologies if I did anything wrong, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice to give in regards to recovery after being under with isoflurane.

My boar, Moose, who is 6 years old, was taken in last Wednesday with overgrown molars. He lost a good deal of weight, as he was under the care of my father at the time who'd just assumed he was losing weight due to being old (apparently he'd slowed down on eating two weeks ago or so). I was advised to take him home for the week and give him Critical Care and baytril (with metacam for pain) to make sure he was strong enough for the surgery. I got between 35-45ml of the CC into him (as prescribed by the vet) every day until today, which is when he had his surgery.

At around 10am he went under for 30 minutes. Two molars were filed down and an abscess on his soft pallet (thought to have been caused by a cut by the molars) was drained. We were given the okay to take him home at 4pm. It's now 7pm. He's essentially a noodle. Completely limp, not moving save for some twitches here and there. The vet told me to keep him close to my body so that he'd be warm, so he's been lying on my chest for the last few hours. His legs or ears twitch occasionally but other than that he's just kind of flat and not moving.

Is this... Normal? I called the vet back to ask and he just kind of told me not to worry about it, that he'd come around by morning (though he was sure to inform me that sometimes the surgery is too much for older pigs and they die anyway).

What I'm mostly worried about is food. I still have the CC and I have a syringe near by in case he perks up but he isn't even lifting his head and his mouth is just kind of open, probably due to the soreness? I don't want to squirt food in his mouth and have it dribble out or go nowhere. He was given metoclopromide to help with the gut stasis that I guess would come with not eating after surgery but I'm still worried.

Tldr; Guinea pig after isoflurane not moving for several hours, don't know if I should feed him or not especially if he's so limp.

This is not normal and your vet should not have discharged the guinea pig in this condition. Guinea pigs should come round immediately the isoflurane gas is withdrawn.

Please get your guinea pig seen by a guinea pig savvy vet as soon as possible. This is a medical emergency.

I fully agree with @furryfriends (TEAS). This is not normal and your guinea pig should never have been discharged in that condition. Please see another vet asap as a life and death emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back