• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post Neuter. Crying, Sperm Rod Extracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Stanley was neutered a week ago. Everything went perfectly, he has had his check up and was fine.

His bits are not inflamed, hot or swollen.
All the stitches are very neat and hardly visible, no bleeding at all,
He is pooping and peeing fine.
Active and chripy...but

He was crying alot today, and on closer inspection it was only when he pee'd.
I flipped him over and pulled a sperm rod about an inch long from his penis.
This was about an hour ago and he's still crying when he's peeing and lifting his left leg. His squeaks are really distressed sounding and i'm worried.
There is no visible blood in his urine.

Any help?
I'm gunna get him off to the vets tomorrow if he isn't any better.

Please have him seen by a vet if things have not calmed down by tomorrow morning. Sperm rods are very uncomfortable; pulling it out can have been very painful.
Have you got some metacam at home? You can safely give 0.05 ml dog metacam twice daily (the lowest dose).

Should I not have removed the sperm rod? I didn't realise what it was I just thought it was something stuck to the end of it and pulled it and it slid out.
So I didn't do it carefully.
Yes, he has metacam. But I gave him his daily 4 drops at about 4 oclock today so i can't give him more yet can I?
Thanks for replying so quickly wiebke.

Should I not have removed the sperm rod? I didn't realise what it was I just thought it was something stuck to the end of it and pulled it and it slid out.
So I didn't do it carefully.
Yes, he has metacam. But I gave him his daily 4 drops at about 4 oclock today so i can't give him more yet can I?
Thanks for replying so quickly wiebke.

You were right to remove it. Hopefully, it settles down again now that the irritant has gone, but things are likely to be a bit sore in there for another day or two, as you can imagine. ;)

You can split the daily dose into two and give him another 2 drops (0.1ml) about 10-14 hours after the last dose. In an emergency if he is in major pain, you can even give him 4 drops (0.2 ml) twice daily for a short while, but please check with your vet if the pain is not going down.

Right now he's rumblestrutting in a circle round his cage, lol. He's fine when he's not peeing, so hopefully your right and it's just his wee willy is nippy just now.
Thank you so much. I'll start splitting the dose and give him 2 drops in the morning and 2 at night. & i'll keep having a peek for more rods.
I'll give him until tomorrow about 4 oclock. If the pain hasn't calmed I'll phone and get him in before they close for the day at 8.
X

He seems much better, he looks a little uncomfortable, & when he pees he kind of freezes, but he isn't squeaking in pain. :)

I found a little spot of blood when i cleaned his cage today, It's been getting cleaned daily just now so its been from the last 24 hours. No crying though so hopefully that's that. @Wiebke , Because I've only had him a few weeks, I'm still so new to boys bits, everything looks good to me, but i just want to double check that you think everything looks in order?
IMG_20150501_005906[1].jpg IMG_20150501_005915[1].jpg IMG_20150501_005929[1].jpg

.............sorry for all the full frontals. ahah ;)
Everything look ok to you?

Attachments

• IMG_20150501_005923[1].jpg
    IMG_20150501_005923[1].jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2
He looks ok considering he is post op. He's bound to still be a bit sore and swollen but if he's still crying when he pees despite pain relief then he needs a check in case something else isn't quite right....

Nah he's not crying anymore. I think it was just from the sperm rod that I removed. He seems good now it's gone. I'm gunna give him metacam for another few days though.

Guys, just throwing this out there too see what you think..
Stans manhood is looking even better. He was neutered two weeks ago tomorrow, so only a few weeks left before i can introduce him to Luna.

When I had my girls together they would only go nuts mounting each other for a couple of days every few weeks when they were in heat.
Is this the same for boys?............He's not gunna be giving it romeo 24/7 is he? haha
I'm only asking because it's occurred to me this could be a potential problem, because Luna's pelvic fracture causes her alot of pain sometimes and she can get quite nippy, and i don't know how well she would put up with the big dollop trying to climb ontop of her constantly? lol.

I'm sure the safe period is 6 weeks. I would most definitely wait another 4 weeks before introducing him to Luna. It is essential that you follow the correct time period. As if Luna has a fractured pelvis, an unwanted pregnancy could potentially kill her so please wait the correct time period.

@Wiebke can you confirm, was it 5 weeks after the neutering that your girly got pregnant?

As for how Stanley will behave that's anyone's guess. I know my Milo got attacked by a sow for being a pain he was to frisky. My Bette was a dominant lady and refused his company. With piggies there are no guarantees you'll have to wait and see.

Alfie was acting very ungentlemanly with the girlies when they arrived, nothing malicious, just amorous! A lot of chattering put him in his place, he's now settled and knows, like any married man, its not worth the hassle of asking as it will always be no! :))

Guys, just throwing this out there too see what you think..
Stans manhood is looking even better. He was neutered two weeks ago tomorrow, so only a few weeks left before i can introduce him to Luna.

When I had my girls together they would only go nuts mounting each other for a couple of days every few weeks when they were in heat.
Is this the same for boys?............He's not gunna be giving it romeo 24/7 is he? haha
I'm only asking because it's occurred to me this could be a potential problem, because Luna's pelvic fracture causes her alot of pain sometimes and she can get quite nippy, and i don't know how well she would put up with the big dollop trying to climb ontop of her constantly? lol.

Boars tend to go overboard at first; often for several days. if you are worried, I would recommend to let Stan live next to the girls and to wait introducing him to Luna for a few days, so he can get over the very worst of his excitement first. he will have to learn when the time is to bother the girls and when to leave them be anyway. Sadly, another 4 weeks still to go for him until he is totally safe...

But I am glad that he his penis better again.

@flintstones Yeah, her hip is really displaced so I'm pretty sure a pregnancy would have a horrible outcome for her, that's why I was gonna wait 5 weeks total. But I'll definitely leave it for at least 6.

@BossHogg Hahahah, This gave me a good laugh. Poor wee Alfie.

@Wiebke he's living beside her just now. They seem to get on well through the bar's, he's not going nuts trying to get at her or anything, just enjoying showing off for her. She's given him a wee chatter a few times to shut him up when he annoys her lol. The time wait is fine, I'm not bothered at all, it's too risky for me to be impatient.

I hope this goes well, no matter what happens I'll find him a girlfriend. There's no way I'm stealing his testicles for him to live alone! Lol

@flintstones Yeah, her hip is really displaced so I'm pretty sure a pregnancy would have a horrible outcome for her, that's why I was gonna wait 5 weeks total. But I'll definitely leave it for at least 6.

@BossHogg Hahahah, This gave me a good laugh. Poor wee Alfie.

@Wiebke he's living beside her just now. They seem to get on well through the bar's, he's not going nuts trying to get at her or anything, just enjoying showing off for her. She's given him a wee chatter a few times to shut him up when he annoys her lol. The time wait is fine, I'm not bothered at all, it's too risky for me to be impatient.

I hope this goes well, no matter what happens I'll find him a girlfriend. There's no way I'm stealing his testicles for him to live alone! Lol

Please wait the full 6 weeks. I have the daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post op boar (not one of mine), and have since heard of a few more cases. it can really happen as late as that and is not worth risking it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back