• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post Op Questions Pleas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Roddy goes in for his op today to have his lump removed, I was wondering , when he gets home can he go in his cage with Fuzzums or does he have to be kept seperate? Is he likely to be a lot more quiet after or will he be his normal self? And last will he need extra handelling for comfort or is it best to not touch him much? Thank you

Roddy goes in for his op today to have his lump removed, I was wondering , when he gets home can he go in his cage with Fuzzums or does he have to be kept seperate? Is he likely to be a lot more quiet after or will he be his normal self? And last will he need extra handelling for comfort or is it best to not touch him much? Thank you

Your freshly operated boy is likely to be much quieter and will need regular checking, ideally at least once during the first night. Keep him on light vet bed, fleece or a cotton towel so you can notice any bleeding/seeping straight away. make sure that you have probiotics and hand feeding ingredients handy so you can start hand feeding and watering straight away if necessary. It is very important that you keep the guts going.
Contact your vet if your boy hasn't picked up and is not eating on his own the day after the op, as an emergency if he is very apathetic.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/
http://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Please ask your vet how soon after the operation you can give painkillers (and how much) if necessary.

it depends very much on the vet whether they allow you to bring in both boys and leave them together. It also depends on how closely bonded they are and how well Roddy is coming round from his op.

I tended to put mine back together (as they would get anxious apart) and watch them to make sure there were no issues. You obviously don't want the other pig to gnaw or otherwise interfere with the wound, but I never found that was an issue, apart from a bit of sniffing. My pigs settled better in their usual environment with their companion and I just kept a watchful eye to make sure there was no conflict and the sick pick was getting the time and space to recovery and was not being pestered by a cagemate. I found how tired/groggy they were really depended on the op and the painkillers given. My vet holds onto them for several hours afterwards to let the anesthesia wear off and ensure that they are back on their feet. When Sundae had dentals and Linney had a mass on her lower back removed, they were only slightly 'off' afterwards, but were up and moving and eating and behaving fairly normally by the time they came home. When Sundae had a very deep abscess lanced and drained, however, she had been given a stronger pain med and was much more groggy and spacey for a day or two after surgery. I think she was totally stoned, honestly! I would make sure you have the means to syringe-feed if needed and then see how he does when he comes home. He may be much like his usual self, or he may be very groggy and need more assistance. Best of luck on the operation today- keep us posted!

I asked the vet this morning and they said they will keep him until late to see how he is and that he eats etc, has advised I keep him on his own for the first 24-48 hours (so will put some mesh up. Have said about Syringe feeding, I'm fine with but how do I syringe feed him his hay, pellets and veggies? I don't really get it. She said if he doesn't eat when home then take him back as an emergency in the morning. I did read the hand feeding thread on here but still (being dim) am unsure on what to do. Hopefully he will be just fine but to be honest I'm really worrying! I find out in an hour how he is :-)

I hope Roddys op goes well! I've just had 4 weeks of intensive hand feeding my piggie including 12 days of syringe feeding! I ground his pellets up into fine dust then added warm water to make a mush that wasn't too thick/thin just right to go through a 1ml syringe - I then put in side of his mouth and squeezed in no more than 0.5ml at a time so that didn't choke. I also boiled up some carrots and apples and mulched them down to a purée and added them to the pellet mush so that he had his veg. He didn't have any hay for 4 weeks as he just kept in refusing it but now back to full health and munching away (he had dental problems!). I'm sure someone else may have some ideas for getting hay into him but I'm sure you won't have to syringe feed for long, if at all.

Thinking of you x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back