Post-operation relief

Sue and Smartie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's me feeling relieved, I expect Kanga still feels a bit hard-done-by!
Kanga had her ovaries removed yesterday. She has been showing signs of ovarian cysts, and although the ultrasound didn't show any big cysts, I decided to go ahead with the surgery, after talking it over with various people including the vet. She has two incisions, one on either side, as the vet decided this would be a better option for Kanga. I agreed as it means she doesn't have a wound on her underneath, so less likely that her wounds will be in contact with wee or poo. She has also been shaved on both sides so is now sporting a punky Mohican 'do'.
It was a very stressful day yesterday, and not much better when I got her home as she was very groggy and reluctant to eat. But this morning she was up & about and ready for her breakfast. She's got Metacam for the next 5 days (thankfully she seems to like it). I have a temporary divider in the Piggy Palace so that she can do her initial healing without Binky chewing at her stitches, but they can still sit together (albeit with a bit of wire between them), chat, and eat together.
I am hugely relieved to have got her back again. As for her ovaries, they DID have cysts, multiple tiny cysts on both of them, so I am glad that she got the surgery as they would not have improved without it.
My bank account has taken a bit of a hit over the past couple of weeks, with all the scans, consults and surgery but it's ALL worth it for my lovely little pig :love:155645335523008470 (1).jpg

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m so pleased she has come through the operation and is back eating for herself. I’ve had 2 sows spayed laparoscopically and they did bounce back quite quickly from the procedure, too. She looks very snug in her cosy and I’m sure she will feel much better without her troublesome cystic ovaries

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I was very glad to hear that Kanga is doing well after her operation. Hopefully she is now on the road to recovery and will be a much happier piggy without those pesky ovaries. :luv:

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So glad Kangaroo is recovering well.
Priscilla, who was spayed last week, suggests that Kanga milks this for all i’s worth in terms of yummy extras like carrots.
I gave her a little bit of syringe feed for the first couple of days to encourage her eating but after that she was eating well.
I left Priscilla with her 2 cage mates and haven’t had any problems.

Well done catching the symptoms quickly enough to get it dealt with before it became an emergency.
Hope she’s fully recoversed quickly.
My bank account sympathises with your bank account!

Sue and Smartie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She was popcorning last night and is now back to her old self as regards eating. She did have a bit of Critical Care the first night, just to encourage her to feed.
It's always such a worry when a piggy has an operation isn't it? The vet nurse said they worry about it too!

Her Nibship

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It sounds like she is making a lovely, speedy recovery. Keep up the good work, gorgeous Kanga!

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Sorry for the autocorrect on Kanga’s name.
I did correct it but was obviously overruled by my iPad!

Glad she’s doing so well. Hope her wound is healing nicely and she’s discharged soon.
Priscilla was discharged this morning after her 2nd post-op check.
One relieved, happy and poorer slave.

Sue and Smartie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We were back at the vet for a wound check yesterday, which was lucky as the day before she managed to rub all the stitches out on one side. Luckily her wound didn't open up so it's obviously knitting together well already. The vet didn't stitch her up again, just put a dab of wound glue on it. We're back to get the remaining stitches out next week.
Otherwise Kanga is doing really well and eating as a guinea pig should do :)

Sue and Smartie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Kanga's managed to chew out all her remaining stitches at the weekend so we've been back to the vet twice this week. She's now on Baytril for a few days as the vet said there is a chance she may develop an internal abscess, and she wanted her to have antibiotics just in case. But we are now signed off unless she develops a problem as the vet is quite happy with her progress.
Kanga is bouncing around as though nothing has happened - I'm sorry to say she now has a reputation at the vet for being quite difficult to handle as she objects quite strongly to strangers handling her. I told them they were lucky they weren't having to treat her sister who is 100% wilder than Kanga!
I mean, does this look like a difficult piggy? :luv:
DSCN0668.JPG

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s Kanga the vet is referring to?
She looks far too sweet and innocent to be difficult :D
Glad she’s doing well now.