• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

post operative care advice

LMPigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all,

Toasty had his neutering operation yesterday. He has come home with a very neat surgery site (we checked this morning and its not red or swollen) and some dog metacam. He does not seem to be in pain etc. but he is definitely quieter than normal, spending most of his time in the carrot cottage rather than pottering around as much as usual and my (inevitably rather subjective) impression is that he has consumed less hay overnight than he typically would. However, he definitely did munch his way through some when he got home last night, and has also had a few pellets and has been enthusiastically scoffing mint and little gem this morning.

We will be weighing him this afternoon since that is when we weighed him yesterday. At that point, if he's lost a significant amount of weight we'll step in with syringe feeding (we have Emeraid on hand). My question is, is there any possibility that would be too late? He is eating and pooping and he's not lethargic, just feeling a bit sorry for himself I think. We've not had guinea go through surgery before so I'm not sure what's a "normal" level of post op discombobulation vs. something to be concerned about, so would welcome some reassurance.

Hello all,

Toasty had his neutering operation yesterday. He has come home with a very neat surgery site (we checked this morning and its not red or swollen) and some dog metacam. He does not seem to be in pain etc. but he is definitely quieter than normal, spending most of his time in the carrot cottage rather than pottering around as much as usual and my (inevitably rather subjective) impression is that he has consumed less hay overnight than he typically would. However, he definitely did munch his way through some when he got home last night, and has also had a few pellets and has been enthusiastically scoffing mint and little gem this morning.

We will be weighing him this afternoon since that is when we weighed him yesterday. At that point, if he's lost a significant amount of weight we'll step in with syringe feeding (we have Emeraid on hand). My question is, is there any possibility that would be too late? He is eating and pooping and he's not lethargic, just feeling a bit sorry for himself I think. We've not had guinea go through surgery before so I'm not sure what's a "normal" level of post op discombobulation vs. something to be concerned about, so would welcome some reassurance.

Hi

Please take a deep breath and do not panic.

The day after an operation is what I call 'hangover day' - the operation cocktail is wearing off and the healing process has not yet set in. If your boy is still eating, then he is doing fine.

You can offer him a little syringe feed or mushed up pellets but only as an optional top up and only if he feels like it; NOT as an emergency measure. You can also see whether he likes a little herbal or fresh grass treat (make sure that the grass is dry, as you do not want to cause diarrhea and only offer it if he is used to it). If he is still eating and drinking, then he won't be losing lots of weight and will make up what little he is losing on his own once he is feeling better in himself again.
Just concentrate on keeping him comfy and warm today while he is feeling a little off colour and mainly wants his rest. Don't fuss too much. He is perfectly normal for this stage.
By tomorrow, the healing process will start to set in. In guinea pigs, it is pretty quick - any big operation scars will knit fully in 10-14 days and incisions are a lot smaller these days. He should feel better with every passing day.

Have you been given any metacam etc.?

Please don't panic over any funny poos - he's had lots of drugs yesterday and has not eaten quite normally. This is currently working its way down the internal conveyor belt that is the digestive tract and will at some point reach the far end, including the operation/post-op recovery gap; the same as eating a bit less than normal today. Poos are always running about a day behind the even horizon (two if the gut is sluggish). That will correct itself once your boy is starting to feel better in himself, which should start by tomorrow and should ideally start showing up within the two days afterwards...

Please weigh him daily at the same time in the feeding cycle for the next 2 weeks; then every 2-3 days for another two weeks before going back to your weekly weigh-in. Unlike the poo output, the kitchen scales will give you an up to date feedback but you want to eliminate the normal daily weight swing of around 30-40g in 24 hours by weighing at a comparable moment. The more often you weigh, the more it will jump around. Personally, I prefer to weigh first thing in the morning when the weight is at its lowest so I can assess any weight loss or gain and determine whether and to what degree I need to step in. The kitchen scales are your best friend in monitoring an operation recovery.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely

Tips For Post-operative Care
Neutering operations: Considerations, post-op care and a successful recovery example

All the best! Just hang in there. Your boy perfectly par for the course right now. :tu:

Nerve wracking time isn't it. My boy is having his surgery today and I know how you feel. A lot of us have been in the same position too.

Take every day as it comes. If there's anything at all that you're concerned about, get in contact with your vet.

I'm glad the incision is looking good. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

So, for the rest of the day the patient has still been rather quiet and retiring, but I'm starting to think it may be have been a ploy to get treats as I just went for a bedtime check in only to find he's been inspired to look at things from a new angle this evening and climb onto the roof of his house for the first time (as far as we know!)

Thanks again for the reassurance earlier and fingers crossed his recovery will continue ☺️

IMG_20211020_223412.jpgIMG_20211020_223539.jpg

So, for the rest of the day the patient has still been rather quiet and retiring, but I'm starting to think it may be have been a ploy to get treats as I just went for a bedtime check in only to find he's been inspired to look at things from a new angle this evening and climb onto the roof of his house for the first time (as far as we know!)

Thanks again for the reassurance earlier and fingers crossed his recovery will continue ☺️

View attachment 187681View attachment 187680

Keep on weighing and step in with syringe feeding top up if necessary. Hopefully, he is brighter again by tomorrow.

Back