• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post-procedural poops?

danuutka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! Nelli has been producing quite wet, teardrop shaped poops since last night - I presume it’s due to some gut disturbance due to gas given to her, the trauma/pain of the stone and the change of environment from being in the hospital.

How can I help her out with this? She has little interest in fresh veg (has had a few bits here and there), but is absolutely loving hay, and has not stopped eating it. We have been syringing her critical care every few hours, as I know that has a high amount of fibre in it, and I’ve given her some fibreplex as I know that works wonders on guinea pig bellies.

Is there anything else I can do to help her regulate her poops?

The emergency vet said that we shouldn’t give her Metacam as this can lead to dehydration, and might have attributed to the stone. HOWEVER, we weren’t given an alternative form of pain medication, and Nelli was clearly struggling a little so we gave her some recently and this seems to have perked her up.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Keeping her off veg and giving critical care and ensuring she had access to hay will, in time, settle her gut.
I can only assume the vet has said no metacam for a reason, but I have to say, I’m surprised - she will be getting some water from the critical care and if you syringe her some water then she won’t dehydrate.

danuutka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Keeping her off veg and giving critical care and ensuring she had access to hay will, in time, settle her gut.
I can only assume the vet has said no metacam for a reason, but I have to say, I’m surprised - she will be getting some water from the critical care and if you syringe her some water then she won’t dehydrate.
Yeah from my understanding he has liaised with exotics vets, who said that Metacam can sometimes dehydrate the body, hence why he suggested to not give that - he said he will look into other options to suit Nellis needs. However, as much as I don’t like to go against vet advice, I saw she was in pain so I medicated her to make her comfortable.