• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post surgery issue

trina1234

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, sparkle had mammary lump removed yesterday, all wet well, eating, pooping etc.

But she keeps getting soaking wet fur from wee, I’ve never known this happen and don’t know what to do. I don’t want her wound getting wet and infected!

She was on fleece, which was wicked by washing x3. Under fleece was towels then puppy pads. Tried removing towel and using puppy pad under fleece instead, still same. Tried removing fleece now to see if it was that, so have mattress protector over puppy pads.

Poor little girl I feel so sorry for her that she’s wet and soggy. Her pig fried is fine but she does have shorter fur.

Any other ideas?

Will contact vet if removing fleece doesn’t help.

Is is because she is sitting in one place more due to being post surgery?

Best thing to do is use a pee pad (fleece pee pad or a puppy pad) in the area she is sitting most of the time so that you can simply remove it and replace it with a fresh one every few hours.
I assume she is on pain meds?

Is is because she is sitting in one place more due to being post surgery?

Best thing to do is use a pee pad (fleece pee pad or a puppy pad) in the area she is sitting most of the time so that you can simply remove it and replace it with a fresh one every few hours.
I assume she is on pain meds?

Yes she’s on Loxicom. I think you’re right that she’s just sitting in her own pee. She is waking round but prob not as much as often. Thanks, will try just puppy pads and will keep checking them and refreshing pads. Luckily I have a big stash of puppy pads!

Yes she’s on Loxicom. I think you’re right that she’s just sitting in her own pee. She is waking round but prob not as much as often. Thanks, will try just puppy pads and will keep checking them and refreshing pads. Luckily I have a big stash of puppy pads!

Hi!

Here are our post-op care tips and a link to our care guide for guinea pigs with mobility issues. The care tips in the second guide also work for post-op piggies that are not moving around much. make sure that you change the bedding 2-3 times a day and that you gently wipe the undercarriage (inclusing foot soles) with damp, slightly warm rag to prevent urine scald and sore skin. You should find the relevant chapter very helpful. ;)
Tips For Post-operative Care
Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Wishing your girl a good recovery.

Hi!

Here are our post-op care tips and a link to our care guide for guinea pigs with mobility issues. The care tips in the second guide also work for post-op piggies that are not moving around much. make sure that you change the bedding 2-3 times a day and that you gently wipe the undercarriage (inclusing foot soles) with damp, slightly warm rag to prevent urine scald and sore skin. You should find the relevant chapter very helpful. ;)
Tips For Post-operative Care
Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Wishing your girl a good recovery.

Thankyou! I’d read the post about post-op care but hadn’t thought about the limited mobility one, will read it now

Back