Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

Little Paws

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
13
Points
85
Oh my goodness! Thank you for the warnings! I can't believe people use those things! I also read that leashes and harnesses will rub on the guinea pigs skin and burn it!
 

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
21,947
Reaction score
24,989
Points
2,425
Location
Southampton, UK
Harnesses and leashes are a big no no mainly cos they can damage a piggies delicate spine.
 

Nfrye

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Apr 30, 2018
Messages
32
Reaction score
8
Points
145
A photo is being shared on FB of a guinea pig with it's head stuck in a veggie ball

View attachment 41042

I would like to remind people of 2 old threads too

Hay/veggie Balls - Warning.

Hay Rack Warning



We have also had reported incidents of guinea pigs getting their heads stuck in Guinea Pig Toys such as loofah rings and toilet roll tubes. . This is easily solved by splitting the ring before using.
If you want to buy a toy for your guinea pigs that’s similar but way safer just buy this instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BHCFRUM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549133552&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=wheeky+treat+ball&psc=1
 

5StarPigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
590
Reaction score
345
Points
425
Location
Louisiana, United States
I know this is kind of late but just wanted to inform some of you about another unsafe cage item.
The eCotrition Snak Shak SMALL edible log. The large one is safe for gps, the small one is not.
So one day I was in the kitchen with my family, we suddenly heard loud squealing coming from Alfie. I ran into my room and found my poor alfie with his head stuck in the small edible log. Luckily my dad was able to break the log open and save him, if we didnt hear him I think he could have suffocated.....
 

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
22,768
Reaction score
9,998
Points
2,105
Location
Lancashire (Originally from Nottingham)
I know this is kind of late but just wanted to inform some of you about another unsafe cage item.
The eCotrition Snak Shak SMALL edible log. The large one is safe for gps, the small one is not.
So one day I was in the kitchen with my family, we suddenly heard loud squealing coming from Alfie. I ran into my room and found my poor alfie with his head stuck in the small edible log. Luckily my dad was able to break the log open and save him, if we didnt hear him I think he could have suffocated.....
Oh my goodness. Thank you for the warning, thank god you heard Alfie and your dad was able to free him!
 

The2musketeers

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
248
Reaction score
146
Points
255
Location
United States
I know this is kind of late but just wanted to inform some of you about another unsafe cage item.
The eCotrition Snak Shak SMALL edible log. The large one is safe for gps, the small one is not.
So one day I was in the kitchen with my family, we suddenly heard loud squealing coming from Alfie. I ran into my room and found my poor alfie with his head stuck in the small edible log. Luckily my dad was able to break the log open and save him, if we didnt hear him I think he could have suffocated.....
I thought the snak shak had pine in it.
 

Shelbylou

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Mar 3, 2019
Messages
16
Reaction score
21
Points
85
Location
Lockerbie, Scotland
Not sure if this is the correct place to post the thread, but I wanted to make people aware of the danger of the Gnaw play block from Pets at Home! (UK)

I have four beautiful piggies but tonight it almost became three. Saturday (Yesterday) I bought two large gnaw blocks, I filled the blocks with their favourite treats and hay. This was what was suggested on the Label as well as the label stating it is suitable for rabbits and guinea pigs and promotes natural behaviour!

So I bought two! But I bought them from the shop, so naturally I didn’t check the online reviews... which has so many awful reviews on the danger of this block. My baby Gaz, got his head stuck so tightly that It took bolt cutters to break the block to get him out! My first thought was to take him to the Vet but in all honestly I didn’t think we had time. I feel as guilty as anything as I checked on them this morning and they were fine and then I was out and checked on them as soon as I got back... I am so thankful I got to him when I did. Sadly he is not out of the woods and I can only hope he is okay in the morning.

I’m so upset, he is sitting on my lap now on a towel and seems okay!

6FC0EA7C-D72F-4B9E-87FB-7241B120F038.jpeg

7F835DC3-6C77-4B15-BFB9-C2B19C99C6DE.png

CA1BB98D-6ACC-481A-8289-FB8CE0264DE2.png
Please do not buy this product! I will be writing a strongly worded letter to Pets at Home first thing tomorrow!
 

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 24, 2018
Messages
7,882
Reaction score
8,920
Points
1,550
Location
Northampton uk
Not sure if this is the correct place to post the thread, but I wanted to make people aware of the danger of the Gnaw play block from Pets at Home! (UK)

I have four beautiful piggies but tonight it almost became three. Saturday (Yesterday) I bought two large gnaw blocks, I filled the blocks with their favourite treats and hay. This was what was suggested on the Label as well as the label stating it is suitable for rabbits and guinea pigs and promotes natural behaviour!

So I bought two! But I bought them from the shop, so naturally I didn’t check the online reviews... which has so many awful reviews on the danger of this block. My baby Gaz, got his head stuck so tightly that It took bolt cutters to break the block to get him out! My first thought was to take him to the Vet but in all honestly I didn’t think we had time. I feel as guilty as anything as I checked on them this morning and they were fine and then I was out and checked on them as soon as I got back... I am so thankful I got to him when I did. Sadly he is not out of the woods and I can only hope he is okay in the morning.

I’m so upset, he is sitting on my lap now on a towel and seems okay!

View attachment 116422

View attachment 116423

View attachment 116424
Please do not buy this product! I will be writing a strongly worded letter to Pets at Home first thing tomorrow!
Make sure you post the photo aswell. Pack some punch behind that letter or email. Glad you cut him free 👍
 

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
22,768
Reaction score
9,998
Points
2,105
Location
Lancashire (Originally from Nottingham)
Not sure if this is the correct place to post the thread, but I wanted to make people aware of the danger of the Gnaw play block from Pets at Home! (UK)

I have four beautiful piggies but tonight it almost became three. Saturday (Yesterday) I bought two large gnaw blocks, I filled the blocks with their favourite treats and hay. This was what was suggested on the Label as well as the label stating it is suitable for rabbits and guinea pigs and promotes natural behaviour!

So I bought two! But I bought them from the shop, so naturally I didn’t check the online reviews... which has so many awful reviews on the danger of this block. My baby Gaz, got his head stuck so tightly that It took bolt cutters to break the block to get him out! My first thought was to take him to the Vet but in all honestly I didn’t think we had time. I feel as guilty as anything as I checked on them this morning and they were fine and then I was out and checked on them as soon as I got back... I am so thankful I got to him when I did. Sadly he is not out of the woods and I can only hope he is okay in the morning.

I’m so upset, he is sitting on my lap now on a towel and seems okay!

View attachment 116422

View attachment 116423

View attachment 116424
Please do not buy this product! I will be writing a strongly worded letter to Pets at Home first thing tomorrow!
Thank goodness you managed to cut him free! Did you hear back from PAH?
 
Top