1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

Discussion in 'Housing and Enrichment' started by PiggyOwner, Jan 9, 2016.

1. eileen

Forum Donator 2016/17

I have this toy for my adolescent boys,they love it,i put treats in the gaps..eg parsley and they are entertined for a good hour,these are my first chewers.:)

2. Maddy

Maddy Adult Guinea Pig

I thought I would warn everybody about the alfalfa rings you can get firstly there is a rope guinea pig could get quite easily caught up in town it up with but I guess worse than that because bones together with bits of string which really do not want to say so I would avoid this at all costs
    I just thought I would let everybody know thank you so thinking of buying them for the pigs I don't want any accidents happening

3. Maddy

Maddy Adult Guinea Pig

I would just like to highlight a toy that I have ordered from pets at home as a potentially dangerous cage accessory
    It is the rosewood all naturals no stone stack
    Correction Gnaw
    The first thing is it's all threaded on a piece of fabric so when I opened it out of the packet it all felt a bit so what I did was I threaded all the parts of it on to a piece of wire that you would use to hang a bottle up with because I didn't want the potential for my guinea pigs to not through the cloth that this thing with ready gone and potentially have the skills crushed by the stones which are quite large they are about the size of the palm of a female hand and be actually feel like brick with a hole drilled through the middle of them and are quite heavy so if you are going to purchase please please keep us in mind to re-thread them so your pics don't die from your skulls being crushed by the following stone
    Correction falling stone

4. TheCavySlave

TheCavySlave Adult Guinea Pig

Maddy, I think I found it on Google, looks scary. Thanks for the warning!

5. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2016/17

IMG_2836.JPG I found a toy that could cause injury. I bought a Trixie wooden hay manger which my girlies adored. I used it in the pen and used to stuff hay in it. This morning I found a STAPLE sticking up from it because it stuck in my finger

6. TheCavySlave

TheCavySlave Adult Guinea Pig

Oh my God! I've heard a lot of bad things about Trixie, including tiny cages. A staple...thank heavens it was you and not a poor piggy!

7. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2016/17

I said exactly the same thing. Trixie is now banned from the house.

8. Maddy

Maddy Adult Guinea Pig

The problem is with me because I have no site I only have descriptions to go on and when I took it out of the packet and it fell apart I thought this is not a good start but I have made it safe as I said because I have used a piece of wire that you would hold the bottle on the side of a cage with why don't make them like that I have no idea I'm off to get seriously injured really easily because the stones are quite heavy and are like bigger than a pigs head and if it landed on the pigs head and probably kill it

9. Maddy

Maddy Adult Guinea Pig

I was so worried about his millstones I took the skins off and left them with the wooden blocks
    I didn't want them to know through them and for the stand for on my pics head and killed it
    Correction stone

10. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2016/17

I have just thrown two of these toys out because one of my pigs ran in to one and thankfully missed her eye. If she had hit her eye, because the wood does poke out a bit, it would have been a nasty injury. As it was she hurt her front paw and limped for a bit. She was better after, especially when I told her that she might need to go to the vets to get it checked out if it continued hurting.

11. eileen

Forum Donator 2016/17

I'm sorry to hear that @Flamestriker .i will stop using these if its a potetial hazzard.

12. GinaG

GinaG Junior Guinea Pig

Does anyone know if these are safe to attach to the side of a c and c cage?

13. PiggySlave<3

PiggySlave<3 Junior Guinea Pig

So you think the veggie balls that hang up on the hutches would be ok as they are quite hard to reach

14. Parnassus

Parnassus Junior Guinea Pig

We have this one hung up on the side. We let it free stand with supervision during floor time, too:

The trap should be snapped shut securely, so the guinea pig can't wedge their head inside. Should be okay!

15. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

I don't use them any more - not after hearing what happened to that poor person who's Guinea Pig died getting stuck on a wire hay rack.

16. Gem789

Gem789 Teenage Guinea Pig

I found staples in my pigs very chewed carrot cottage, needless to say it went in the bin.

17. PiggySlave<3

Usually I use the DIY guinea pig accessories and treats, there's lots of videos of them on YouTube, using DIYs is also a good idea because you will know what's inside them.

18. PiggySlave<3

:( I didn't know he died! That's so sad

19. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

Hay Rack Warning

20. PiggySlave<3

Just a question, if a guinea pig is feeling a little naugty and decides to squeeze her head through the bars of a run thinking she can, and gets her head stuck, what should you do? When this piggie, angel was a baby I ended up getting to push her head out as the bars where quite hard. She STILL escapes her run everyday now but she always comes back and is easily caught IMG_20170110_155653.jpg