• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

Veggies Galore

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A photo is being shared on FB of a guinea pig with it's head stuck in a veggie ball

FB_IMG_1452328168517.jpg

I would like to remind people of 2 old threads too

Hay/veggie Balls - Warning.

Hay Rack Warning

We have also had reported incidents of guinea pigs getting their heads stuck in Guinea Pig Toys such as loofah rings and toilet roll tubes. . This is easily solved by splitting the ring before using.

Last edited:
Was the pig ok? Must be terrifying to see your piggy in that state.

I'm afraid I don't know. Person who posted photo asked for it to be shared. I agree it must be terrifying which is why I am relieved people share these experiences. If it avoids it happening to someone else , at least some good has come out of it.

@Chief Guinea Pig The guinea pig was fine, she was stuck like that for several hours, the owners had checked the CCTV and saw what went on. They then contacted Ancol with the screenshot etc. They said they would change it to something else :) I follow the FB page of the person it happened to so it popped up on my wall.

Platinum Piggies

Last edited:
I must add that the dried corn on the cobbs have become stuck on my guinea pigs 2 bottom teeth before, It happened to my Jerry years ago so I never bought them again and we recieved some as Christmas presents so I put them in the cages when I was supervising the guineas and a piece of corn became stuck ony francis's bottom teeth too so please be aware of this happening if your unsure of what I mean I will upload a picture of them so please be aware of this image.jpg

Also another one to avoid is this plastic ball which I bought off ebay, the plastic is cheap and nasty and where the little opening door thing is there is a little piece of plastic that fudge chewed off and I found it in his mouth because he was what looked like heaving, and there it was a piece of yellow plastic wedged in his mouth and it had cut his bottom lip inside image.jpg

image.jpg

Also another one to avoid is this plastic ball which I bought off ebay, the plastic is cheap and nasty and where the little opening door thing is there is a little piece of plastic that fudge chewed off and I found it in his mouth because he was what looked like heaving, and there it was a piece of yellow plastic wedged in his mouth and it had cut his bottom lip inside View attachment 41726

View attachment 41727

My boys only get these supervised but have never chewed on them.

I was looking at one of those treat balls today. I decided against it as although it felt quite robust I just wasn't sure!

It was also the tread on the pig stuck through one of those hay balls that made me buy something else! My pigs had a metal spiral hay holder and after seeing that photo of the hay ball I got worried that they might somehow get stuck. I now have hay cubes which the girls seem to like.

It is very worrying reading things like this but if it could save a life or stop pets becoming injured then it needs to be said, I always worry when trying new things because of the corn incident it really scared me and for it to happen twice to my guineas has shocked me even when I was supervising them it still happened again, and both times I had to pull it off because they were distressed, now I only buy little treats for them and hand feed it to them plus I find this more of a bonding process with them, a great alternative to the metal hay ball is this which my guinea pigs have its hollow in the middle and stuffed with hay and they seem to love it and had no accidents yet apart from head banging it out the way lol image.jpg

Poor thing! I'm glad she's okay!

I used to have one of those treat balls hanging from the ceiling of my piggies cage. I removed it when I got the babies as I didn't want to run the risk of them getting caught in it. I was under the impression that these were okay as long as they were hung up and used with adults? Mine loved theirs and would ring the bell attached when they wanted treats. It'd be a shame to get rid of it, but obviously, safety comes first!

On Guinea Pig Fun, Facebook, someone just posted a piggy got the waist trapped on this:

yJTFTgW.jpg

Back