• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Potty trained all by themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ginger and Cocoa have been with me several weeks now. Every evening they play on the couch, which is covered, for at least an hour. The run around, do boar things and cuddle with me.

The past several days I have noticed something very interesting...

They're not pooping on the couch anymore.

They have peed a couple of times, but no poops. Before, they were pooping almost nonstop. I keep a plastic bag near the couch during their playtime and I would pick up the poos with a tissue and put them into the bag.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do they "know" that they're supposed to poop only in their house?

By the way, they aren't constipated. They are pooping in their cage at their normal rate.

I noticed our pigs definitely wait and don't pee or poop when out, they become nervous and try to get home when they need to go to the toilet, but they can't wait for a long time - they are just little and their bladder is too :) Our 3 girls who run around the room free only do their business at home: they no longer soil the carpet or poop anywhere except their houses at all.

My piggies are still not fussy and will go as and when they choose lol!

mine too, pee and poo everywhere! Poo i can cope with its the pee i cant, my mum is so lucky with hers, he runs to a bit of newspaper to pee. He can be in the kitchen and run all the way through to the front room via the dining room to pee on the newspaper, hes special :p

I noticed our pigs definitely wait and don't pee or poop when out, they become nervous and try to get home when they need to go to the toilet, but they can't wait for a long time - they are just little and their bladder is too :) Our 3 girls who run around the room free only do their business at home: they no longer soil the carpet or poop anywhere except their houses at all.
It's so interesting to me that they are intelligent enough to understand that they should only poo/pee at home. I honestly didn't know what to expect when I got my guys. While they may not be rocket scientists compared to some other animals (dogs, pigs, etc.), they certainly have exceeded my expectations. They're as smart as they need to be. :)

You have "free range" piggies? I really must read more about that. I don't think we have the space or the set up for that arrangement, but it intrigues me.

They do have wee little bladders. I'm impressed that they can hold it at all.

mine too, pee and poo everywhere! Poo i can cope with its the pee i cant, my mum is so lucky with hers, he runs to a bit of newspaper to pee. He can be in the kitchen and run all the way through to the front room via the dining room to pee on the newspaper, hes special :p
doglovinpiggylover, you mom's piggy sounds very bright. That's amazing that he is so well trained.

Romily, thank you for responding. :rose

Last night, DH was on the couch, too, while I had them out. They did make two little poos. I'm wondering if his presence threw them off.

My pigs poop anywere, but try and get them to wee! Just does not happen and they get so upset and squeak (Annoyingly), if I have too get a urine Sample it takes ages and ages!

Mine have never pooped on me. Tam has never peepee'd but Gaga does when shes on my lap. Shes not fussed. I just get a warm sensation.lol

My pigs poop anywere, but try and get them to wee! Just does not happen and they get so upset and squeak (Annoyingly), if I have too get a urine Sample it takes ages and ages!
Oh my... I can't even imagine how one obtains a urine sample. I'm afraid to ask... :red

Mine have never pooped on me. Tam has never peepee'd but Gaga does when shes on my lap. Shes not fussed. I just get a warm sensation.lol
It's funny how they're all so different. I was kind of shocked when I got that first "warm sensation" when Cocoa peed on me. And he didn't even have the decency to look embarrassed! :)

fluffy69, the piggy in your avatar is adorable. Looks like a rock sta with all that hair. Is that Gaga?

By the way, I may have started this thread prematurely. :red I had the boys out earlier today and they pooped all over the couch.

It's so interesting to me that they are intelligent enough to understand that they should only poo/pee at home.
It took some training to do it even though they were over a year old when we re-homed them. At first they were closed in their house to get used to where their home is. When we started to let them out they pooped or peed (a lot, tons of it, everywhere); we patiently collected and cleaned it up with some carpet washing liquid or just with toilet paper - it's important not to leave it there for them to smell, the pee smell has to be only where you want their toilet to be. After a while they stopped doing it everywhere at all.

You have "free range" piggies? I really must read more about that. I don't think we have the space or the set up for that arrangement, but it intrigues me.

Everything has to be pig-proof: no wires, cables, loose carpet edges they can chew on (they love to take threads out one by one, can swallow and get blockage, we're going to put wooden floors in the living room when we renovate the living room). Still, they'll find something to damage: our Turkish cusions brought from holidays are gone, furniture corners have suffered, etc - even though we have gnaw stick all over the place on the floor. People should be very careful with the doors, etc. - it's probably safer to let them our for lengthy walks if you have many people in the house not to step on them :)

They do have wee little bladders. I'm impressed that they can hold it at all.

Tell me about it! One of our pigs held it for over a couple of hours while on a trip to the vet and back. Don't know how she did it.

Last edited:
By the way, I may have started this thread prematurely. :red I had the boys out earlier today and they pooped all over the couch.

I'm not a great pig expert, but I noticed guinea pigs don't treat poop as something dirty, just pee - our girls seem to go to their upstairs shared cage from their separate sleeping spaces to pee sometimes, while they don't ever make the trip to poop.

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding "free range" piggies, Piggyologist. :rose I am certain that we will never be able to do that in our apartment.

In the meantime, tonight I started adding another layer of protection to the couch before I let the boys out to play. I placed a huge bath sheet on the couch. They were quite excited, especially Ginger, who was popcorning as if towels were the best thing in the whole world.

yeah mine are the same they will poop anywhere apart from on me (which is always a good thing) but only wee on their hay area,very rarely on towel /fleece bedding x

yeah mine are the same they will poop anywhere apart from on me (which is always a good thing) but only wee on their hay area,very rarely on towel /fleece bedding x
Wow, somehow Ginger and Cocoa didn't get the memo! rolleyes Since I started this thread, my bad boys have started pooping and peeing freely during their out time, which is why I have taken to adding towels to the couch, which is already covered.

Mine potty trained themselves- they don't pee or poop outside the cage. During free play time they can get back into the cage on their own and they will go back inside to pee/poop and then come out again. And if they are being held they both have obvious body signals that they have to go so when I notice that, I put them back to do their business. It's not something I ever tried to teach them- they decided to do it themselves. And we've even had a change of pigs at some point- one of my original pair of potty trained pigs passed away so we got a new 'little sis' for the remaining pig, and little sis picked up going into the cage to use the potty really quickly- possibly by watching what the older pig was doing! It's great- much less cleanup for me!

Mine potty trained themselves- they don't pee or poop outside the cage. During free play time they can get back into the cage on their own and they will go back inside to pee/poop and then come out again. And if they are being held they both have obvious body signals that they have to go so when I notice that, I put them back to do their business. It's not something I ever tried to teach them- they decided to do it themselves. And we've even had a change of pigs at some point- one of my original pair of potty trained pigs passed away so we got a new 'little sis' for the remaining pig, and little sis picked up going into the cage to use the potty really quickly- possibly by watching what the older pig was doing! It's great- much less cleanup for me!
I am most impressed by the idea of the little piggy learning from the older piggy. :rose

My piggy fluffy monster is clever and never wee or poos in the house only in his cage he goes. If i'm cuddling he will let me know he needs to go by rudely biting me. Not nastly just a little nip. My others will poop and wee every were thoughrolleyes

I am most impressed by the idea of the little piggy learning from the older piggy. :rose

It's very neat- I've seen her 'watch and learn'- particularly when she was a baby and just learning the ropes. For the first few days she could not figure out how to get back into the cage by walking up the door (wire cage, door folds down and makes a little ramp for them.) I could see her watching Linney go in and out very intently before she finally tried it herself. They certainly are not dumb... I've actually been pretty surprised at how much they figure out! They know when they are supposed to get fed, they know it's playtime when the baby gates go up, they recognize different voices and footsteps and save the wheeking for the people most likely to feed them... it's really quite impressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back