• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poultice

Skinnypig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Can I use Animalintex for my skinny pigs’s bumblefoot? I took him to the vet and was prescribed antibiotics to which he became very sick. I stopped and he is better but the bumblefoot has never really healed. He’s cleaned 2 x day on fleece. He is spoiled rotten. Gets baths for soaking it. It gets better but then never
Really goes away and comes back. Please. Any suggestions would be welcomed and his nails are
Good Thank you

I would go back to your vet. Bumblefoot can be a very serious infection and won't clear up without antibiotics. If your piggy starts to react to antibiotics or have side effects you should always contact your vet for further advice before stopping the prescribed course. As with humans it can cause antibiotic resistance. Your vet should be able to prescribe an alternative antibiotic

I understand that there are only certain antibiotics that piggies can have He was prescribed Baytril 15mg Half a tablet every 12 hours. This was last year.

Baytril can be hard on many piggies’ stomachs. But as advised above, it’s always a good idea to consult with the vet before you take them off. Not finishing the course can (as with humans) mean they don’t get better.

How exactly did he become ill from the baytril, and how long was he on it for before you took him off?

As an aside I wouldn’t use anything unless suggested by the vet. I don’t know what animalintex is though.

He stopped eating and drinking and having his snacks within two days. I called the vet to express my concerns and told him that I was stopping. He agreed but didn’t suggest anything. Thankfully he started to slowly get better I have no doubt he would have died if I didn’t stop. I guess I will be looking for another vet. Are there any recommendations for a better antibiotics for piggies? Animalintex is a poultice padding.

Antibiotics wipe out the good bacteria in the gut as well as the bad bacteria causing an illness.
When a piggy is on antibiotics and if it does affect their tummy and make them lose their appetite, then they need to be syringe fed and given probiotics (or poop soup from a healthy companion) to help combat the loss of the good bacteria so that the course of antibiotics can be completed to fight the infection but also ensure antibiotic resistance doesn’t form.
There are several antibiotics which are safe for piggies, but not every bacteria responds to every antibiotic. Only the vet can help prescribe the appropriate treatment
Bumblefoot can take a while to treat, mild cases can be healed but it’s no always an easy or quick road.
I would speak to another vet for further advice

I would never use Animalintex poultice on a guinea pig.
It is developed for use in horses, who have a very different physiology to guinea pigs and could be quite harmful.
The skin on a guinea pigs feet is delicate and could react badly if in contact with something designed for very different purposes.
I have used it on horses before and think it is a wonderful thing, but definetly not something for guinea pigs.

It is developed for use in horses, who have a very different physiology to guinea pigs and could be quite harmful.
The skin on a guinea pigs feet is delicate and could react badly if in contact with something designed for very different purposes.
I have used it on horses before and think it is a wonderful thing, but definetly not something for guinea pigs.
I had a feeling and wanted to be sure. Thank you

Thank you so much for explaining the process. The vet never explained what you just said to me. So thank you again
Antibiotics wipe out the good bacteria in the gut as well as the bad bacteria causing an illness.
When a piggy is on antibiotics and if it does affect their tummy and make them lose their appetite, then they need to be syringe fed and given probiotics (or poop soup from a healthy companion) to help combat the loss of the good bacteria so that the course of antibiotics can be completed to fight the infection but also ensure antibiotic resistance doesn’t form.
There are several antibiotics which are safe for piggies, but not every bacteria responds to every antibiotic. Only the vet can help prescribe the appropriate treatment
Bumblefoot can take a while to treat, mild cases can be healed but it’s no always an easy or quick road.
I would speak to another vet for further advice
thank you so much for explaining this The vet never really did. So I appreciate that very much

Back