• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Preventing a fight

Theanette

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So we recently got two boars. The first one is about 11 weeks old and the second one about eight. So far it is going well, no fighting except for the "normal" chasing around, low grumbling sounds etc. I have read a few of the threads and am concerned about the chance of them not being compatible and this resulting in fighting. At the moment they share food, will sleep together in their hidey, but the older one seems to get grumpy only when I hold the younger one.

Is there any way to try and help the bonding, something we can do in order to try and prevent fighting when they hit their teens?

There is nothing you can do to make them compatible - they either are or they aren’t and you can’t influence that.
However, it is important with two boars that you have multiple of everything - two food bowls, bottles, hay piles. They may share now but the probably won’t always want to share. Ensure you have multiple hideys - I have at least one per piggy (I have two boars myself, but they are now past their teens at 2.5 years old), and ensure those hideys have more than one exit. Ensure their cage is big enough (6ft x 2ft)
It is also important to respect their hierarchy - you must always handle and do everything for the dominant piggy first. It is the dominant’s right to be first in everything and have their pick of items etc

Thank you, although we didn't get them together they were introduced on neutral ground and given an hour or so to spend together before bringing the younger one home. Obviously I should have done a lot more research on these little complex creatures before starting our adventure together, but now its a case of making the best of it and hoping it all works out.

I have read a link posted on a previous thread about boar pairs, but thank you for the advice about handling the dominant one first. Most of his grumbling happens when take the younger one out so that makes a whole lot of sense

As babies they are often very accepting of company but it can change when the teens hit and they both become hormonal, particularly if it is at the same/similar time. Please don’t worry though - boars get a bad reputation of being difficult, but it’s not as bad as all the horror stories you will hear. Just ensure you know what is normal behaviour and what is more concerning. My own boar pair, Dexter and Popcorn, were introduced as babies and came to me when they were 5 and 4 months old respectively. They were typical hormonal teens, bickered like siblings! I upgraded their cage (carefully, as that in itself can cause problems) (luckily I had the option to give them the entire shed space) and things almost instantly calmed down. They still have hormonal bursts now (at just over 2 years old) mostly during spring time, but they soon calm down.
You are absolutely going to see hormonal teen behaviour though - even if they are perfectly compatible!

Since getting them I have been reading and reading, abviously something I should have done beforehand, and some of the stories truly seem like horror stories. Its nice to hear that there is a chance for them to still "survive" their teens

Since getting them I have been reading and reading, abviously something I should have done beforehand, and some of the stories truly seem like horror stories. Its nice to hear that there is a chance for them to still "survive" their teens

There are many many successful boar pairs on the forum!

Boars have a bad reputation that they really don’t deserve. My boar pair are lovely and get on well. They made it through their teenage months together and are still okay. Yes, there’s the occasional moment when Toffee (top-pig) will teeth chattering and chase his friend. Otherwise they’re just your average boar.

Have faith unless you have cause to do otherwise. 😊

i started with two boars who got on well,at six months they did not like each others.unfortunatley they did have a lock on furball fight with bites and teeth knocked out ! you can see the signs of a fight usually clacking of teeth,circling each other,raring there hackles up.then clash of the tiatans ! just have a towel handy and throw it at them,but you usually can see the warning signs.these two boars i got neutered and each had a girlfriend.i love boars and have to boar pairs that get on well.my mistake was getting from a petshop without any guidance or information.i now try to get any new piggies from rescues.you will know if they are well matched after six months,as those that are not matched usually fall at the hurdle then.dont forget 50 to 60 per cent do make it to adulthood with being compatible.i agree with the above posters two of everything and lots of space 6feet x 2 feet can really make a difference.Boars have lovely pigsornalities and i would have boars more than females if i did not have a good vet who has lots of experience with neutering boars.
:)

Just to add that many, many people have totally successful and well bonded boar pairs.
It's just that most people don't create a thread just to say 'my boys get on fine!'.

Fingers crossed your boys will fall into that category and do well together.

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. We have only had them for a few weeks, but getting rid of one is simply not an option. I'm adamant to make it work and I'm sure the advice will help to create the best environment for success❤

Back