• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Probiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've got a guinea on Baytril atm, I know I'm meant to give him probiotics but I'm a bit confused on how much, I read in one place that's it's 0.5ml then somewhere else it's 5ml, I know there is meant to be a gap of 1 hour between giving the antibiotic and probiotic.

Also how often should it be given, he's not ill as such, he was put on antibiotics because of an head tilt, but when two different vets checked his ears they couldn't see anything wrong, so he was put on the meds as a "just in case there is something".

Oh yeah I already have avipro got two tubs last year because of Sheamus, but I was confused on how much to give lol. I made a batch following the tub, is that ok?

I use Bio-Lapis, but I do the same thing - a pinch dissolved in a little water, or a pinch mixed in with recovery food :)

I think it's not an exact science. Some pigs are more affected by the anti-biotics than others, and there's no harm in giving a little more pro-biotics to one who is making soft poops. Most of the time a pinch is fine, but more than a pinch is fine too! For those suffering the soft poops the recovery food also seems to help, and if the pig lives with others you may find her nose stuck to the bottom of another piggy, waiting for those magical edible poops to appear! It's another way of sorting out the guts, and also an indicator that perhaps you need to up the dose of the pro biotics :)

Ahh he's on his own at the mo @Critter he's one of the two himi's we adopted that we had to split because of fighting, we've got him next to the sows as we're planning on having him neutered if the rescue is ok with it, the other little boar will get a new friend again if the rescue is ok with it. I don't see why not though, it's not like I'm wanting to breed them. I just don't want to give either back for reasons I won't go into on here. I'll keep an eye on his poop.

Thanks Critter :)

Give one pinch of probiotic 1-2 hours after the antibiotic in whatever form (either sprinkled on some veg or dissolved in 0.5 or 1 ml of water if your boy is one of those who will eat the veg but not the powder). Because of the small dosis, it is not quite an exact science.

I have avipro plus, too, but bio-lapsis is another good product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back