• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Problem With Penis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My almost 4 year old guinea ( Ryan ) has recently ugly, sticky droppings and besides that his penis did not want to hide. I went to the vet but he said this is through his diet . Because Ryan has a sticky droppings which Ryan has to push, his penis also fell out . Ryan has limited vegetables but nothing has changed . I'm going to again take him to vet but I would like to know whether you also had an experience with sticking out willy.

LisaAli

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are tagging @Pebble for you, who hopefully can give you some information on your boys condition..

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried adding fibreplex to his diet? This can sometimes help with guinea pigs with an iffy digestion.

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
A "pushed out willy" is, in veterinary speak, a "prolapsed penis".
The primary cause of this condition is not sticky poos/difficulty in pooing - for anybody with an iota of boar experience, they will firstly look to the possibility that it is fur/hay/gunk that has found it's way into the foreskin and wrapped itself round the shaft of the penis (often happens in older boars, especially those with longer hair)

I therefore think you have two issues -
1) his prolapsed penis and
2) his sticky poos

They need to be dealt with separately unless and until it can be categorically shown the two are interlinked....(and your current vet has "speculated" rather than "proved" their diagnosis)

So let's deal with the protrurding willy first....you will probably need tissues soaked in cooled (but still warm) boiled water, some cotton buds, some KYjelly. Sit on the sofa with your piggie upright but his back nestling either between your legs or on your stomach (on a towel!) . This will help support him comfortably and thus give you both hands free to gently extrude his penis to its fullest extent. You may find lots of greasy yellow/cream/white covering - wipe this off gently with tissues or cotton bud soaked in warm water.....you may find fur/hay wrapped around the upper shaft - gently remove/un-entangle this with your fingers and tease the rest away with a cotton bud. Most importantly - don;t "yank" it. If necessary you may have to put his bottom in a wash basin/bowl of warm water to loosen it all first.
Once you are sure you have removed all the gunk" from his extruded penis, apply KY jelly and let it slip- back smoothly into the sheath.

Repeat as often as necessary ( I have a 7yr old boar with a penis that routinely sticks out because he gets fur and gunk around the shaft - I clean him once or twice a month as above which normally involves a pre-soak in the wash basin first! - )

Secondly - the soft gunky poos - this is more worrying as there could be a number of causes but most often it signifies a dietary deficiency/imbalance caused by either pain or infection.
Firstly take him off all veg - and give hay, hay and more hay. Provide also some ripped up kitchen roll or newspaper and see if he eats it as this will indicate whether he has a digestive disturbance and needs more fibre.
Weigh him daily and monitor his food intake and his poo output. If he is losing weight you may need to supplement by syringe feeding Supreme Recovery or Critical Care (or his favourit pellets softened in warm boiled water and then homogenized) Also put a bowl of water in the cage as he may not wish to bite on the bottle tube.
The soft poos suggest his gut is not functioning properly so a course of zantac (2mg/kg) may help stabiliise the gut. It will NOT however cure the cause - it will merely help alleviate the symptoms

Having stabilised his "symptoms" as above, you then need to find out hat has caused this. I note you are in Glasgow - and unfortunately we are STILL not aware of any decent cavy savvy vet in Glasgow - your best cavy savvy vet is Glen at Apex vets in Denny/Falkirk.

You may need to have a poo culture done to check there is no infection/.parasitic burden. It may be he has developing dental problems that have caused the poo issue...it may be he has another underlying issue (such as stones.infection etc) that has caused him to develop gunky poos.

Sorry - this is a lot of info to take on board in a short space of time....if you have any questions or want a chat on the phone then please PM me.
x

Anya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I never heard of fibreplex but I guess is worth to try as he have problems with digestion more often lately. Thank you for advice
Am giving him prebiotics which i bought from pets at home.

Anya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pebble thank you for such good tutorial.
1. His willy - I did everything what you suggested before I went to vet. Am doing this everyday since Thursday the 28th of April but with no result.
2. Sticky droppings - this problem is coming back since last year. He is eating a lot of hay (Timothy and readigrass). I did cut down fresh veg but I will take him off completely. He has checked his droppings under microscope and was nothing worrying. His weight is 1.27 kg and he went down a bit few months ago but now he tend to keep the same weight. He has checked his teeth and they are perfect.
I forgot mention that Ryan was neutered about 5 weeks ago and he recover really quickly. He is very active all the time, eat a lot, seems be happy just the droppings...
Am taking him to the vet and will ask him to check his poo culture.

Last edited:

pig in the city

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I had a foster boar who had a permanently prolapsed penis, I just had to check him regularly and make sure it was clean. It didn't seem to cause him any problems. It's interesting that it has come on post neutering, I have seen this a couple of times, I can't explain why it should be, and neither could the vet!

Status
Not open for further replies.