• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

product recommendations

emmamartin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
what do you guys think of the johnsons ear drop for ear mites in guinea pigs. my piggy’s don’t have ear mites but i might add it to my emergency kit for them.

what do you guys think of the johnsons ear drop for ear mites in guinea pigs. my piggy’s don’t have ear mites but i might add it to my emergency kit for them.

A simple NO.

There is a good reason why we have not included any ear treatments because ear issues (with or without head tilt) should always be checked by a vet and not be subject to any home treatment on spec. The scope for permanent damage you can do is too great because the window for treating some potentially fatal ear issues successfully is relatively small.

Rabbit ear mites in guinea pigs are only ever a problem if you have both guinea pigs and rabbits in close proximity - and to be honest, we hardly ever see ear mite issues in good care!

We do however most emphatically not recommend to DIY treat on spec with any low dosed broad spectrum pet shop products and rather see a vet for a proper diagnosis and proper quality treatment.

It’s best not to buy over the counter meds as they will not be strong enough. And you can’t know if it’s mites they have or something else. Best to take to a vet for diagnosis and correct treatment.

In summary I wouldn’t buy anything like that. have a search for the emergency kit on here.

no, don’t do it
Such off the shelf products are not effective as they aren’t the right strength and you can’t diagnose the problem anyway - only a vet can do that
If you have concerns about a health issue, then go straight to your vet. Don’t be tempted to use any pet shop medical products as they just aren’t good enough

A simple NO.

There is a good reason why we have not included any ear treatments because they should always be checked by a vet and not be subject to any home treatment on spec. The scope for permanent damage you can do is too great because the window for treating some potentially fatal ear issues successfully is relatively small.

Rabbit ear mites in guinea pigs are only ever a problem if you have both guinea pigs and rabbits in close proximity - and to be honest, we hardly ever see ear mite issues in good care!

We do however most emphatically not recommend to DIY treat on spec with any low dosed broad spectrum pet shop products and rather see a vet for a proper diagnosis and proper quality treatment.

okay , thank you i had no idea!
arnt over the counter ivermectin treatments good for furr mites good either? because my piggy had mites before and we used a ivermectin treatment and his hair grew back, are furr mite treatment ok?

okay , thank you i had no idea!
arnt over the counter ivermectin treatments good for furr mites good either? because my piggy had mites before and we used a ivermectin treatment and his hair grew back, are furr mite treatment ok?

They are usually low dosed and we wouldn’t recommend them. You would still need to get to a vet for diagnosis and vet prescribed strength ivermectin treatment as part of the correct prescribed multiple treatment course

Pet shops are not allowed to sell medication.
It is just a waste of your money that makes a lot of income for the pet shops.

Preventative ivermectin is only necessary in rare cases with guinea pigs with a suppressed/weak immune system and regularly recurring mites issues on recommendation of a vet because in healthy piggies a fully working immune system is pefectly able to keep mange mites eggs in the skin under control. And a return of hay mites can be prevented by switching the hay provider.

Back