• Forum upgrade on Monday May 17th. The forum will be unavailable for some time during this

progress report in the pepperdog household

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
3 weeks on and I cant express how much I am loving my girls :)

I can mostly catch then from the run without too much problem, in the hutch they are a lot easier to catch hold of as they are not as skittish and accept the routine. I think part of the run issue is they dont want to come in again, not that they dont like being caught :))

They are much more comfortable being held, crystal really is laid back and will snuggle in to my chest and sort of chirp at me - think she is happy, she isnt struggling like she previously did and she lets me stroke her (I even trimmed her back nails with no problems). Fudge gets a bit upset when she want to be let go of, it seems to be because she wants to go eat her veg or go back in the run rather than because she hates being held as she has on occasion settled in my arms and closed her eyes. Minty is much improved and was the quietest she has ever been while I handle her, she even seems to enjoy having her head and nose stroked, and just now when I carried her back from the run to the hutch she was perfectly happy snuggled under my boob where she had snuggled into while in my arms - I dont mind, if it makes her happy :red:))

I spot clean every morning and health check the girls before letting them have their veggies which I can then observe them eating while I carry on with the spot cleaning and tidy away the stuff in the shed.

But they have the whole hutch available, they have no problems going up the ramp as I have seen them do this each time I put them in the bottom section, they are up the top soon enough. Fudge did go part way down this morning but minty was in the bedroom chatting to her and she came back out again.

Do you think the bottom section is too open plan for them to be happy in - should I put fleece over the front section (on the bottom half the wire mesh not all the mesh) so they feel more secluded? Then as they get more comfortable to decrease the cover. I was thinking of using something to cover the front wire (the sides and back are solid wood so its only open at the front) as pepper gets far too excited by the sight of them so this would block her view of them too - perhaps not fleece, perhaps a bit of net curtain eventually so the light still gets in and they will feel safer from the big wide world.

I have put a fleece on one side of the run (its a triangle) as they just hid in the corners, with the fleece on they are running about and grazing the grass happily which is why I wondered if putting a cover on the section where they are (leaving the top open for light and air) will help them feel the same in the bottom part of the hutch. Its a shame that they are not using all the space they have and I would like them to have as much room as possible.

Sarah from Chucklebunnies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm very glad your piggies are settling in well. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun!

They can be very wary of open spaces - did you mean putting the fleece on just the lower half? So that they can hide behind it if they want to and feel safer but also look out if they want to as well? That would make sense.

I must admit - I had a wonderful vision of a piggy pulling back the corner of a net curtain and gossiping!

Pepperdog

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
yes, imagine the wire front on the whole downstairs but the bottom half being covered with fleece but the top part having nothing infront. I can then move the fleece down lower so they get more light in the bottom section as they become more confident, but then replace it with net curtain - this is on the outside of the hutch BTW.

I will take a photo as I have stuck it on and put crystal in the bottom section earlier as she is the most confident, she stayed down there for 5 mins then ran back up the top.

In the top section they have the completely enclosed bedroom section and in the larger part there is some wood the previous owners of the hutch had put across so they already have some kind of hide on that top part, plus they seem to like to move the litter tray towards the door and then run around the front part. I get the impression that they like to feel more enclosed so I am pandering to their desires to keep them happy - rather that then they spend all the time in the bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.