• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Proud to have home 3 piggies, intro and question, and literally just heard chirping. Is this bad?

Guineaboarpig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a trio of guinea pigs. All brothers got them today. I understand there is a possibility that one boar might need to come out of the relationship and a new friend found for him if the relationship breaks down adn a hierarchy is formed.

I have large cage 3 home each with double exit 3 water bottle. Hay scattered around cage with carrot including the bedding they traveled home in

I couldn’t leave 1 boar behind and leave a pair splitting a family. If it comes to needing to house separately then will be a c and c o BC ground level and second on table

Is there a particular age to be concern about?They were born 2/9. They already feel a good healthy weight. I was going to weigh on putting in cage but the battery is dead so ordered new scales off Amazon.

I am aware of dominance stages in males. In hidey all 3 were snuggled together in corner. Now on cage 2 are in one hidey and the other is in another. Very quiet. I’m nervous if they will start to drink from the water. I will prepare cucumber for veggie time so they get water

They all snuggle together and have lived together since birth. They left their mother at 3 weeks. I would like to post pictures of my pigs in the photo forum if that is ok. They are short hair but the hair is quite thicker on one I’m curious to identify breed.

They are definitely boys as they had the obvious bulge where the penis is housed(can I say that on here if not sorry).

I will be feeding them their veggies and tempting them with treats, so they can be used to me.

I would like to enjoy being part of the community here so any tips on that is welcome.

As I was about to post that one of the pigs chirped like a bird for a good minute. Is this something to be worry about it was quite alarming I wondered what on earth for a minute. Are they ok? He has stopped now

Hi and :wel: I would strongly suggest you see which two get on best once they’re settled in, then split into a pair and single, and take the single dating so he can find a friend. Trio boars rarely make it through their teens (4-14 months) with the bond intact. And they need 1sq metre of space each. In any case you have a little time to work them out.

Leave them to settle in for 5-7 days. You can just put hay and food in, and poo pick. But no handling or trying to hand feed etc. Cover the cage with a blanket so they feel safer as well.

No one knows what chirping means noisy know you’re blessed as not many piggies do it. Have a read of the guides I’ve linked below. Their testicles haven’t descended yet so you can’t tell by that. But you can feel for the presence/absence of the penis ridge above the slit. Or look for the presence/absence of a fleshy seal just inside the slit. Do double check as pet shops have been know. To missex them.

Keep pellets to a tablespoon each. So you need three bowls. Veg 50g or a cup. They can have lettuce, bell pepper, coriander and cucumber daily. And lots and lots and lots of hay.
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

I forgot to add, don’t feed treats too often. Leave them to settle in then you can start with hand feeding them their veg rather than treats. Sparingly feed high calcium veg like spinach, kale and parsley. Also, being related doesn’t mean anything when it comes to the bond. Just like with humans, some siblings don’t get on.

Last edited:
:wel: And :agr:

I am afraid you have taken on a very big risk in attempting to keep a boar trio, they are highly likely to fight and their bond is not likely to work out for the long term.

How big is their cage? It needs to be at least three square metres to attempt to keep a trio.

If they fall out, then you won’t be able to keep one in a cage on a table. The piggy who ends up single will need to be kept in a separate cage on the ground next to the pair so they can all see each other and communicate through the bars to prevent loneliness. The pair which are left together will need a cage of 6ft x 2ft/180cm x 60cm. The piggy who is single will need a cage of 4ft x 2ft/120cm x 60cm while he is alone but as soon as he gets a new friend, they will then also need a cage of 6ft x 2ft. You can then put them on the table after the single is no longer alone.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I will keep an eye out for obvious pair of bonding. I know the possibility may be slim it works.

If it does become necessary to separate them I didn’t plan to leave one on his own on the 2 levels. My apologies I should have mentioned that although I had planned to have cages on 2 levels the brother who is removed would find him a friend. I would never leave a piggy on a cage alone for their welfare. If there are 2 bonded pair is it ok to have on 2 separate levels or should they both be side to side?

They didn’t come from pet store, the private area all 3 look identical. There’s a fleshy bulge down there that looks like all the male pictures in the sexing guides. I did feel too above and you could feel something was there. There was no Y shape like a sow.

The current cage measures 162x60. I am doing work at home over the next week to improve my own living accommodation, like moving more and the area where the pigs are and knowing the boys will need more space growing up I am looking at making my own grid cage. Pads and fleece liners is the bedding. They were kept on fleece before so keeping with that as bedding.

I have ordered extra things for them, more tunnels, beds, fleece so there will always be plenty for each pig. Am maintaining 3 feeding stations as advised.

Also I had some relief and was happy when I asked my landlord is it ok to get and he was fine with guineas. Also the council website do stress there is permissions for cats and dogs but not rodents including guinea pigs. So I am free to make the environment as fit as I can with my pigs. I had worked myself up that I want guineas so bad I was prepared to move. Had even researched places. So I have one less stress.

will keep off on excessive treats, I have a throw covering 3/4 of the living space right now.

The veg was a bit of a minefield working out which is a daily. Which is a couple times. Which is weekly. So thanks for noting the ones that are daily. I have romaine lettuce in fridge at present alongside cucumber and carrots. Will definitely get peppers. Any colour goes?

I just need to now register them at local vet. Indicate small animals so looked fine to me. I will search vetposts here for feedback on the chain companies.

The chances of them making it are slim to none, so do prepare to separate. Don’t wait until they come to blows. When they’re separated you need to have them living alongside each other (as neighbours) so the singleton can still have interaction. Once he’s paired off it’s okay to stack their cages. Recommended vets on the link below. I would get them booked in with the vet for a general check next week.
Vet Locator

162x60cm is a little too small for even two boars (particularly boars who aren’t adult) - two boars need 180cm x 60cm and it is definitely too small for three.(for three you need a cage measuring 300cm x 100cm - three square metres). Character compatibility comes before anything when it comes to a successful bond but lack of space will be a contributing factor to a fall out.

changing their cage, extending it etc will constitute a change of environment and will cause them to have a hierarchy sort out again. If they are already unstable by the time you give them a bigger cage, then it could well be the final straw and changing the cage could cause them to fight. You therefore need to give them as much space as possible as soon as possible if they are to stand a chance. When you do change their cage, you need to keep soiled bedding and put it in the new cage so that it smells of them. It can help them realise it’s still their space, but it will still cause them to reestablish their hierarchy.

H Any colour pepper is fine. Carrots no more than one small amount once per week.

Last edited:
May I ask what grid configuration is most appropriate? I will get more from amazon now

I wish I had this forum found sooner. A few website gave the size I have as right for 3. althougg in inches so I converted to cm2

I better hurry my home sorting then. Last thing I want is to be neglecting to my Guineas with inadequate housing.

For three boars you’ll need 9x3 (correct @Piggies&buns?). So any configuration that uses 24 grids will fit the Bill. Make sure it’s the grids with 9 holes and not 8.

They haven’t drank from water bottle yet. I’m going to put veggies in at 6pm it will be a regular time once a day for the veggies. Am I getting too anxious for nothing. They are all on the homes so far and haven’t left.

Sorry for all the questions. Can a cage be any shape with grids. Like an L shape if it matches the correct square meter

Absolutely. That’s the beauty of c&c cages, you can make them fit around the space (and corners) you have.

Sorry for all the questions. Can a cage be any shape with grids. Like an L shape if it matches the correct square meter

Yes it can be
8 grids x 3 grids gives just over 3 square metres

Get extra grids, so if they fall out then you will have grids to hand to split the cage in half straight away. A 4 grid x 3 grid cage is fine for two boars to live in.

and don’t worry about them not having drunk yet. Itll take them time to settle in. They will most likely venture out to eat and drink when you aren’t there. Ensure hay is right next to them at all time so they can eat it without having to come out if they don’t want to

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Cube-Wire-Storage-Shelves/dp/B0735GRJXY are 9 slots so look safe for piggies.
I tried to count the grids in the photo looks like 24 or just about.
I expect it is unlikely to have a coroplast sheet big enough to make base in one.
Where do you usually get it from?

If a loft space does not count for their square living areas because of run what benefit do piggies get from a loft. Just an extra place to chill?

thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Cube-Wire-Storage-Shelves/dp/B0735GRJXY are 9 slots so look safe for piggies.
I tried to count the grids in the photo looks like 24 or just about.
I expect it is unlikely to have a coroplast sheet big enough to make base in one.
Where do you usually get it from?

If a loft space does not count for their square living areas because of run what benefit do piggies get from a loft. Just an extra place to chill?

thanks

this is 23 panels. You will need 22 to make a 8 x 3 cage, or 24 to make a 9x3 cage. That doesn’t leave you with any spare to be able to split the cage in half if they fight though but if you keep the cage they are in now you can just put one of the piggies into that cage

you can get correx from sign makers or eBay. as an alternative if you can’t get correx you can use plastic sheeting.

You’re right a loft is just an extra level, it doesn’t count towards the cage size. You don’t need to have a loft .

Plan seems to be coming together in my mind. Thanks!

so I can order 2 pack of these. If I need to separate I will put the separate boar into the 162x60 cage next to c and c and then make plans to get him a buddy.
Then adjust c and c and build second for if and when the separate boat gets his mate.

I wonder that as there is 2 snuggling in a house together and 1 on own at if it is an initial indication of closeness.

there seems to be a development every time I post as I heard some quiet pig talk from one.
Going out for a walk soon so maybe they will be venturing when I am gone. I can hear the water bottle ever so slightly just now too. Someone is getting brave

Possibly, but snuggling isn’t always a sign. Wait a little longer till they’ve settled in. How old are they again?

Born on 2nd September. So 8 weeks.

I went out for a walk earlier and when I got home the veg I had put out had magically disappeared!

Back