Psycho Sow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sild

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Now I'd like to clarify one thing before I start writing; I've had my gp for a little over a year and the things she does are not news to me, I'm just dying to know if this is normal :)

So one of my piggies is quite insane. Her energy level is something I've never even seen before. Not even in pups. This girl NEEDS to run. All the time. And if you don't let her out you can be darn sure she will do it herself!
She is not cuddly at all, does not care for food the way the other one does, if she could choose between a fresh carrot and a 5 minute jog in the house, she would gladly eat pellets for the rest of her life. Whenever we try to hold her she will literally leap out of our hands. Jumping off the couch? No big deal. Climbing her fricking cage?!?!? Sure that sounds like fun. I didn't even know piggies could climb, but this one get EVERYWHERE! I've given up on trying to keep her from getting to different places. I once set up a fence around her, and she simply jumped over it. A 40cm fence! I made it taller and she just lifted it up, crawled like a fool for about 10 minutes until she could squeeze out of there.
As amusing as it has been, I really miss cuddling with my pet, is there any chance she will calm down? Maybe fatten her up a bit? She is about to hit her 2 year milestone soon and at the looks of it she's got no intention of returning to the normal piggielife yet.

And most importantly, is this normal?

Reactions: Sar

Sild

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was having some troubles at this page while making this post. Just want to add one more thing :)
Has anyone ever experienced this before? I've only had cuddly lazy piggies before her so this experience is new for me. Maybe I should just drop her off at the first circus I find :P I swear it's like she's on drugs.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, we have been experiencing technical issues with our forum for the last couple of days.

Your girl is rather unusual in being THAT energetic, but it is not completely unheard of! I doubt that she will ever become a cuddly piggy unless she is seriously ill and in need of comfort. Just concentrate on making her happy and try to enjoy her as she is. Why not try to have fun with giving her enrichment by creating assault courses, mazes, hanging her veg from a line so she has to stand up or jump to get it and trying to train her to do tricks for a little treat? Not every piggy is a cuddle monster, but that doesn't mean that you can't build a close bond in other ways. ;)

My special girl Minx was a natural born explorer, and there hasn't been anywhere in our house or garden she's not been, including climbing the staircase or building her own personalised racecourse through the flower border, which she loved to run up and down a breakneck speed. Minx did learn to walk herself back into her run for a treat whenever I called "cucumber!"; which once caused a builder to nearly fall from a roof watching it. In many ways, Minx was more like a little dog following around and checking up on me (as much I was checking up on her during her free roaming time in the house and garden). It took me a long time to get over it after I lost her at only three years old.

Here are some pictures of my Minx; I think that you will relate to them!
DSCN1348_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5508_edited-2.jpg

IMG_0919_edited-1.jpg

DSCN0491_edited-2.jpg

IMG_8577_edited-2.jpg

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I also have a girl who loves to explore everything and jump! We always joke saying she is half cricket! She also attempts to climb the stairs. She will run and jump over and under my legs when I'm trying to clean the cage. She's just so interested and energetic in everything.

Very fun to watch though :)

Sild

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Wiebke such lovely pictures! The first one struck me right away! Always at top, not stopping for food hehe :) Guess I'll just have to settle with the fact that we have a clown in our family then. Thank you for sharing your stories with me, it was very fun to read :) Dog is greeting you from the top of my couch :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
@Wiebke such lovely pictures! The first one struck me right away! Always at top, not stopping for food hehe :) Guess I'll just have to settle with the fact that we have a clown in our family then. Thank you for sharing your stories with me, it was very fun to read :) Dog is greeting you from the top of my couch :)
The first picture was taken just a week before Minx delivered two unplanned shop babies! Talk about living on the edge... :yikes:
I knew the exact day she considered her babies weaned, as she picked up stair climbing again...

Minx has jumped into the vegetable tray - she could jump on anything she could set her paws on. And like yours, Minx was not a cuddly piggy, but then our bond didn't need it.

Sild

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ahh I'm so jealous ! The fact that you could bond to a special piggy sounds so nice! Dog is really independent, and she's mentally stronger than my hubby :D :D :D
She doesn't care about us at all, and the only time she comes up to my feet is when she's hungry, which is like... never :P
Edit: @Wiebke climbers are crazy! My yoga blocks are full of scratches and bitemarks after Dog's previous adventure. So cool to hear about other climbers as well!

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I've had a couple of speedy stair climbers, but not as manic as you describe. Mine have all been cuddly pigs, content to sit on my lap and do zoomies once in a while!

juls65

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had a very active piggy who used to run around so fast. I named him Scorch the trail blazer :)

Winifred

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Loving this thread. I didn't think there was such a thing. Mine must be the laziest ever! Brill pic of mid launch

Sar

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This thread has made me chuckle :nod:

Your stories remind me of my Biscuit, who is definitely our crazy monster pig. She loves to run around in the playpen. She goes one way, turns round and runs the other, through the tunnel, over the bridge, then back the other way. I often go dizzy watcing her! Her favourite game is trying to escape, sometimes she even wins. There was the time she jumped a table (a small one from a nest of tables on its side to block an area off), over she went. The time she escaped the pen, and was sat in the middle of the room chortling away to herself when we came back to the room. I don't think I'll forget the time I was poo picking and we'd opened the play pen a little so they could have a bigger area and all of a sudden I was aware of something clinging to my trousers above my knee - was Biscuit.
Her newest trick is jumping on top of the cave (cardboard box), the first time she did I turned to see her there, happily chortling away to me as if to say 'look what I can do now'.

Fudge is generally the complete opposite, she's still quite skittish and doesn't try any of Biscuit's tricks. I did catch her running round popcorning crazily the other day which was lovely to see as usually she just potters about (usually trying to avoid Biscuit running into her).

Sild

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Update: Woke up before my alarmclock today. Looked over and saw Dog running over the floor while strutting her butt in the air. She had actually chewed off the strips i put on the cage door to keep it closed. Hooman -0 Dog -1

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
A piggy that is keeping you on your toes - as much as Minx did with me!

Cherish her special personality; Dog is very much a one-off and - I promise you - life is going to be looking very dull when she's gone...

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Minx looks a lot like Frenzy (ironically, also my 'hyper' piggie!)

None of mine have been that wired, but I did have one (the very aptly named Frenzy) who was FAR more high strung than all my other guinea pigs put together! Very alert, very active, never sat still, never really fattened up or settled down (although in her case she did succumb to a massive dental infection before turning two, so she might have been a bit more sedate in her later years. Unfortunately, I'll never know.) Frenzy used to jump into walls, could climb the side of the cage, would leapfrog the other pig when she got excited... just a lot of energy in that little package!

Status
Not open for further replies.