Puffed up piggie

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My ozzy was puffed up last night and was no way of getting him to a vet at that time. I gave him a small dose of metacam and he looks fine to me now from what I can see. Can him being puffed up be a one off or is there underlying issues? This was my puffed up ozzy

452EF309-44B0-45F4-8577-9EFE4B6CEE67.jpeg

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I'd get him seen by a vet anyway. I caught Comet looking puffed up one day when he thought I wasn't looking and I was on a home visit from the hospital - he was still eating/drinking/toileting fine but it turned out he had spurs on his back teeth. They don't puff up unless there's a reason, however small.

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok just making sure, does he definitely look puffed up in the picture I attached? He’s currently eating and face first in the hay, he looks back to normal size too. Will get him to the vet ASAP

Scooter Pie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I take puffed up piggies seriously too. Maybe it's from years of having birds as pets...it's definitely a sign of some kind of discomfort.

Hard to tell from your pic. A pig quietly sitting kind of hunched over and fluffy is what gets me worried.

Hope all is ok!

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I always head for the vet if I’m at all concerned.
I’d rather be over cautious than risk missing something.
Hope Ozzy is ok

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If he seems better today, will it be ok to take him Monday? They’re open mon-fri and weekends are out of hours which I can’t afford at the moment :(

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If he seems better today, will it be ok to take him Monday? They’re open mon-fri and weekends are out of hours which I can’t afford at the moment :(
I’d get him seen as soon as you can. Weigh him daily to ensure he really is eating enough, syringe feed if you notice weight loss. If he suddenly goes downhill you will have to take him as an emergency. Of course we can’t say whether it is something that can wait as there is no way to know what is actually wrong with him

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’d get him seen as soon as you can. Weigh him daily to ensure he really is eating enough, syringe feed if you notice weight loss. If he suddenly goes downhill you will have to take him as an emergency. Of course we can’t say whether it is something that can wait as there is no way to know what is actually wrong with him
Thank you, I’ll weigh him in a couple :)