Puffing sounds

Nitinbaweja

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

We have father and son pair of guinea pigs age 2.5 and 1.3 years. Both are looking active and eating normally but something that started with father around week/10 days back and seems the son also catching on is a puffing sound they make...like blowing air couple of times in a row. The father is noticeably doing lesser of it but we are just concerned if these are signs of respiratory issues?
Can anyone advise?
Thanks in advance.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, sarsaparilla used to snort at me when I used to try and pick her up. When is the noise happening?

Nitinbaweja

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks sports Billy, he is making the sound on his own when he is easting or generally sitting around, not when someone is picking or touching him. That's what worrying me a bit, might be an upper respiratory infection is what I'm fearing. Better to get them shown.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it a popping noise? I would advise getting him checked over at a vet.
How long has this happened? When did it start?

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hello and welcome,
I have a piggie Mrs Dougal that started with some noise oh year or so ago
I thought it was eating too quick but it returned and little worse so I took her to vets as I it can be quite alarmingl
She had a mot and little meds,, , , all ok ,
If you not sure then yep a vet trip i felt better after, I'm sure you and piggies be ok,

Nitinbaweja

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback. Had both father and son shown to a vet and got all clear. He said their chest is clear and everything is fine according to him. He suggested it could be allergy or being sensitive to something, I'm not sure what it could be. We did got away with wood shavings base for good and replaced it with fleece blankets. Hopefully that was the reasons. It the puffing seem to have come down bit its still there...will be on looking at them closely. They both seem to be eating all right. It stated around 10 days back and was very mild in the start, got frequent few days back and now seems to be like it started...

Attachments

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I hope you can find out what is causing it. Potential irritants to their airways are dusty hay, air freshener, perfumes or sprays, candles - if you have any of those then it would be worth removing them and see if things improve.

Can i just ask though, that looks to be a wire shelf which is visible there in the cage? If it is, then it would be better if you could completely cover or remove it. It is a danger to piggies and they should not walk on wire as it can cause bumblefoot or an injury.