• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Puffy Butt

Missqueen47

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post here. A few months back I got two guinea pigs for the first time in years! Both are living in the same cage, happy and healthy.

But today I was snuggling with one and I realized his butt looks a little puffy when he's just walking around. When I flip him over he looks almost normal. I checked to see if he had any impaction and besides a few small bedding peices he was just fine. I heard that they could just be his testicles, but I wanted to know of anyone could let me in on a little insight.

His diet is fine, he has Timothy hay, pellets, and plenty of water. Plus, he has another male guinea pig in there with him, and they love to run around with each other, so exercise isn't a problem either.

If anyone could just tell me their thoughts and what they know that would be amazing. Thank you!

Hi! This is my first post here. A few months back I got two guinea pigs for the first time in years! Both are living in the same cage, happy and healthy.

But today I was snuggling with one and I realized his butt looks a little puffy when he's just walking around. When I flip him over he looks almost normal. I checked to see if he had any impaction and besides a few small bedding peices he was just fine. I heard that they could just be his testicles, but I wanted to know of anyone could let me in on a little insight.

His diet is fine, he has Timothy hay, pellets, and plenty of water. Plus, he has another male guinea pig in there with him, and they love to run around with each other, so exercise isn't a problem either.

If anyone could just tell me their thoughts and what they know that would be amazing. Thank you!

Hi! Are your boys around 4 months of age? Then you are likely witnessing the testicles starting to descend.
Impaction generally only affects older boars from around 4 years onwards (about 10% of them) unless there is a specific reason that affects the muscles at the back end or impacts on expressing poos at an earlier age (diet lacking in hay; operations; hernias etc.)

You can see pictures of the development of the testicles in our boar care guide, which has already been linked into this thread.

Back