• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Puffy thickened ear?

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hopefully a fairly minor thing but not something I've come across before...!
Big pig Clover was feeling very friendly with us at weigh in and health check time (unusual for her, but we had curly parsley as a bribe) and she was letting me stroke her ears and I noticed that one ear feels puffy like its a bit spongy feeling and 2 or 3 times as thick as as her other ear. Its not red (half this ear is white) and its not sore (she almost fell asleep having her ears stroked and let me mess about with it and give it a good inspection inside and out) and there's no lump and no obvious injury. This was however the ear that Tallulah massacred a bit 6 months ago when they had their "little fall out" that resulted in an emergency vet trip for them both!
Is this likely just scar tissue from then? I would expect scar tissue to feel hard not spongy though... could it be a very delayed abscess from her injury? Half of my brain is imagining a bizarre ear skin cancer, the other half of my brain is thinking this is just her ear... any thoughts please! I will keep an eye on it and in 3 weeks she will be having her routine half term vet check when I will mention it, or is it more urgent?
I've advised so many people on the forum to go to the vet this week as a matter of urgency I'm tempted to rush her to the vet, but it is just a funny feeling ear that isnt sore, I think its hard to keep things in perspective sometimes reading all the health and illness threads lol!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully a fairly minor thing but not something I've come across before...!
Big pig Clover was feeling very friendly with us at weigh in and health check time (unusual for her, but we had curly parsley as a bribe) and she was letting me stroke her ears and I noticed that one ear feels puffy like its a bit spongy feeling and 2 or 3 times as thick as as her other ear. Its not red (half this ear is white) and its not sore (she almost fell asleep having her ears stroked and let me mess about with it and give it a good inspection inside and out) and there's no lump and no obvious injury. This was however the ear that Tallulah massacred a bit 6 months ago when they had their "little fall out" that resulted in an emergency vet trip for them both!
Is this likely just scar tissue from then? I would expect scar tissue to feel hard not spongy though... could it be a very delayed abscess from her injury? Half of my brain is imagining a bizarre ear skin cancer, the other half of my brain is thinking this is just her ear... any thoughts please! I will keep an eye on it and in 3 weeks she will be having her routine half term vet check when I will mention it, or is it more urgent?
I've advised so many people on the forum to go to the vet this week as a matter of urgency I'm tempted to rush her to the vet, but it is just a funny feeling ear that isnt sore, I think its hard to keep things in perspective sometimes reading all the health and illness threads lol!
Hi! I would recommend to have the ear vet checked. This doesn't normal.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I’d definitely recommend a vet check some time in the coming week. That sounds abnormal to me - not so abnormal she needs an out of hours or anything drastic but a routine appointment this week would be my recommendation.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hi! I would recommend to have the ear vet checked. This doesn't normal.
Thank you Wiebke! Clover's puffy big pig ear is booked in with the vet for next Friday. Hopefully I'm just fussing but my parents in law lost a whole family of cats to ear cancer, poor things kept having their ears operated on until there wasnt anything left to operate on...

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t be fearing the worst. Good to hear a vet will be checking her over on Friday. Will be interesting to hear the outcome.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I’d definitely recommend a vet check some time in the coming week. That sounds abnormal to me - not so abnormal she needs an out of hours or anything drastic but a routine appointment this week would be my recommendation.
Thanks Vicki- she's booked in with the vet. Poor big pig, one of the rare occasions she's ever been friendly enough to enjoy an ear rub and she's off to the vet as a result!

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Vicki- she's booked in with the vet. Poor big pig, one of the rare occasions she's ever been friendly enough to enjoy an ear rub and she's off to the vet as a result!
With the best part of a week between being friendly and seeing the vet I doubt she will associate the 2 ;)
I hope that it’s nothing to worry about. But better safe than sorry.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Sending gorgeous Clover love. I hope it's nothing, just a Clover type ear, but good to get it checked out. X