• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pulled hair

dan3008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys

So neo was nipping rainbows as ear yestursay and today rainbow has a bold patch on his back with some blood. Below

received_1432325330296704.jpeg

When I came in neo and rainbow were snuggled up together and coco was playing with them.

Is this normal dominance behaviour or should I be worried? Also does this warrant a vet trip

Added note. Rainbow doesn't seem in any pain

This needs a vet trip, it could be a fungal infection. You will require vet diagnosis and prescribed treatment.
Practise good hygiene in case it is indeed ringworm. I’ll add a guide below with gives further details
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Thankyou. I'll ring my vet now. I'll keep him apart from the other 2 until I know 100%

Cheers

Thankyou. I'll ring my vet now. I'll keep him apart from the other 2 until I know 100%

Cheers

There is little point in separating as the other piggies will already have been exposed to any potential spores. Separating piggies will cause stress which can lower the immune system, so please leave them together, although I know with you having three boars separation at some point is likely to happen but if you separate on medical grounds now, that could possibly be the end of the trio sooner than you were expecting
Spores can live in the environment for a very long time to concentrate on hygiene.

This thread will also help.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Last edited:
So I've spoken to a helpline. They've advised me to keep an eye and if it gets worse, or spreads get an emergency appointment, otherwise they'll book me in for Tuesday

So I've spoken to a helpline. They've advised me to keep an eye and if it gets worse, or spreads get an emergency appointment, otherwise they'll book me in for Tuesday

I’m glad you can see a vet on Tuesday, if it is ringworm, then it is likely to get worse before it gets better though. The problem with ringworm is that the spores live in the environment for up to a year and a half, plus it can spread to people so do read the guides and ensure good hygiene for you and a good cage clean with F10 disinfectant, throw away anything you can’t wash (ie cardboard tunnels) and put any fleece bedding on a hot wash in the washing machine.

Yep. Read the guides and I've already got some anti fungal soap from boots to wash my own hands with. Dont think itll be piggy safe though :/
Dont trust pets at home's advice. They said to treet it with canesten if its ringworm... na I'll see what the vet says thanks

Ok so rainbows sore patch was bleeding today. A local pets at home had a vet drop in session so we've took rainbow to see them.

The vet doesn't think its ringworm and has given us some antiseptic healing drops. Leucillin to help out.

Hes also advised to keep them separate as the others are likely to keep irritating the wound.

Ok so rainbows sore patch was bleeding today. A local pets at home had a vet drop in session so we've took rainbow to see them.

The vet doesn't think its ringworm and has given us some antiseptic healing drops. Leucillin to help out.

Hes also advised to keep them separate as the others are likely to keep irritating the wound.
Not sure about separating your piggies. They can get stressed if you do. Which in turn can cause ailments.

What I'm going to do is keep them together and keep a close eye on it. As you say, separation can cause stress. And loneliness ... if it gets worse I might have to, but as long as he heals ok, I'll keep them together for now

Back