• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pulling out fur

PoppyFloss

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yesterday, my guinea pigs were both having lap time and Candyfloss was trying to get a treat before Popcorn (as usual). She shoved her out of the way (like sort of pouncing on her) and a small clump of Poppy’s fur came out. I wasn’t completely sure that Flossy pulled her fur out so I decided to just keep an eye on them, but today Flossy pulled out more of Poppy’s fur. Is this normal?
There are no bald patches on Popcorn or any signs of injury.
Thank you so much in advance, I might have posted this for no reason but I want to be on the safe side!

Barbering maybe? I’m not too sure on this one so wait for someone else to answer.

Yesterday, my guinea pigs were both having lap time and Candyfloss was trying to get a treat before Popcorn (as usual). She shoved her out of the way (like sort of pouncing on her) and a small clump of Poppy’s fur came out. I wasn’t completely sure that Flossy pulled her fur out so I decided to just keep an eye on them, but today Flossy pulled out more of Poppy’s fur. Is this normal?
There are no bald patches on Popcorn or any signs of injury.
Thank you so much in advance, I might have posted this for no reason but I want to be on the safe side!

Hi!

Please have a read of these guides here and see whether one of the scenarious discussed applies. While nipping is normal dominance behaviour, especially in sows, hair pulling by different piggies is not normal and could indicate a developing issue (skin problem or bullying). It is not something we can judge just through the filter of your description; all we can do guess as much as you do without direct access to your piggies. working out what is going on is not easy at the best of times.

However, if it is just those two instances, then I would not worry too much and just keep an eye on the situation. You may also switch from weighing once weekly to weighing daily at the same time.

Here is more detailed in-depth information on what could be going on and on the various aspects that may play into it:
Barbering ( Eating Hair)
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

I have experience with barbering. My little pig barbered all the fur she could reach after losing her cage mate (about a month before I adopted her) and once she bonded with my single pig, she stopped barbering herself and barbered her...just for a few weeks and then it stopped.

It was very noticeable. Bald patches....well, actually thin patches where the vet could see the fur was cut.

So it definitely came about after some stress. Hopefully it was just a one time thing and wont continue! Just make sure your vet knows what she’s talking about. The vet that the original owner of my little pig took her to thought it was ringworm and did a flea and tick treatment. In reality it looked nothing like ringworm!

Good luck! 💕🐷

Thank you! I will have a read through those guides, keep an eye on them and weigh them daily :). If they do it again I’ll go and visit my vet.

Back