• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Puppy pads

rhymer

Junior Guinea Pig
I notice that some people recommend puppy pads and as I am taking my piggies on holiday next week, thought these might be easier to use in the cage. But I am a bit worried they might nibble and eat them,is this safe.
just concerned because several years ago I had a piggy eat some of his fleece bedding and choke on it. So I haven't used fleece since.
Any advice please.x

Nadsgirl75

Junior Guinea Pig
I’m sure someone if much more experience than me may have better advice but I use them all the time and they do a great job. I put newspaper underneath and do poop patrol morning and night but change the pads everyday and they work fine for me.

I also think they are probably cooler in this weather than fleece....

But I’m fairly inexperienced to be honest, only had my piggies since June but this forum of great for advice so I’m sure someone else will be along shortly to help!

Jaycey

Forum Donator 2017/18
@rhymer I use them for all of my boys and I think they're great. So easy to roll up and dispose of.

I've only ever had one pig chew them and he was in pain from bladder issues and was chewing everything in the cage.

Have a try of them for a few days before your holiday, see if they pigs eat them.

You could aways cover them with hay if they do eat them.

Jomundy

Junior Guinea Pig
I was using hay and sawdust stuff before last week bringing my 2 new piggys inside due to them being pregnant and I use puppy pads now in there indoor cage .. not only has this saved a load of mess from the wood but also a lot of time and that seem just as settled on this .. I recommend you change at least twice a day depending on the size of cage .

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
I just bought the vet fleece brand washable reusable "inconti-pet" pad to go under my vet fleece. I havent tried it yet but its supposed to be chew proof and pet safe and machine washable. And it was £9 for a 75x90cm reusable pad or £25 for 3 :)