• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Purring or Rumbling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piglet_and_rogers_mama

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What's the audible difference between a purr and a rumble? I'm trying to figure out if Piglet purrs when i pet him (like he's a happy pig), or if he is telling me to stop (rumble). His body kinda vibrates when i pet his back and thats usually when he makes that sound. What do you think? ?/

If it is a short, sharp rumble, it says "I don't like that!". If it is a softer rumble, it's a purr. What is his body language telling you? if he stays relaxed, he likes it, if he is batting at your hand or trying to escape it, he won't like it.

If it is a short, sharp rumble, it says "I don't like that!". If it is a softer rumble, it's a purr. What is his body language telling you? if he stays relaxed, he likes it, if he is batting at your hand or trying to escape it, he won't like it.

I have the same question too. For the first time since I got Beep 2 weeks ago, I bathed her with warm water and dried her with dry towels and hair dryer. When I was done, I hold her and pat her back. At first, she purr for a long time then after awhile, she was vibrating but without a sound. I wonder what was she trying to tell me. Did she want me to stop pat her back?

That was most likely her shivering from the bath - just hadn't got her temp back up again. Mine do it every time even though theyre fully dry and indoors

But as for piglet_and_rogers_mama query, I get this noise and vibration nearly every morning when I go to say morning to them and stoke them. I thought it was a tickly spot for him and it made him go funny, but maybe he's telling me to buzz off... :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back