Purring

Allisonmarie27

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So my boy taco purrs constantly and I think it’s happy purrs unlike other guinea pigs I know he loves his butt and back scratched he poops down and just purrs away making sure it’s equally scratched all over he also does this long low purr with his head up high when he’s getting chin scratches he’ll take a break give you licks for 5 mins and then go back for more purrs
Recently he’s just purring and doing that butt shake anytime we are near him or the other guinea pig I know it’s known as a dominant thing but I think he is just showing he’s really happy
Our other guinea pig on the other hand doesn’t purr and just makes noises that sound like he’s constantly complaining he also bites his nails a lot so I think he has anxiety I’m not sure how to fix it though:/

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Guinea pigs don’t bite their nails but do clean them. It may be he is just talking rather than complaining. Have you noticed his nails are shorter?

A happy purr is different to rumble strutting. The latter is a dominance thing and not showing happiness. He’s just showing you he’s the boss.

Allisonmarie27

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Guinea pigs don’t bite their nails but do clean them. It may be he is just talking rather than complaining. Have you noticed his nails are shorter?

A happy purr is different to rumble strutting. The latter is a dominance thing and not showing happiness. He’s just showing you he’s the boss.
They haven’t grown since getting him about 2 months ago now they are pretty short like if I did cut them and I know tacos grows like no tomorrow
And what’s the latter? He honestly does the dominance purr butt thing to George all night long recently and I’m not sure why he goes hours doing it he loves George and all and George has backed down every time at this point I feel like it’s stressing him out because taco won’t stop following him doing it
I know he does test the waters by showing who’s boss I just also know he does the same purrs while laying down getting scratches all over (especially chin scratches) so it’s hard to figure out which is which

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Rumblestrutting is dominance and not happiness. How old are they and how long have they been together? Doing it is normal and won’t stress him out. If he does get fed up he may let it be known but otherwise don’t intervene.

One of my boar’s nails don’t seem to grow as much as his friend.

Allisonmarie27

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Rumblestrutting is dominance and not happiness. How old are they and how long have they been together? Doing it is normal and won’t stress him out. If he does get fed up he may let it be known but otherwise don’t intervene.

One of my boar’s nails don’t seem to grow as much as his friend.
Ah well taco does it a lot around George they are about 8 months now though we think George is 2 months younger than the lady told us and they just started living together officially a few days ago so I’m assuming that’s why taco is doing it but he does it for literal hours and follows George to the point he can’t eat in peace (he’s able to but taco is literally up his butt doing the strut and all) I think George may have just mounted taco a bit ago because he’s fed up I’m not sure I know that’s a dominant thing too though

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ah well taco does it a lot around George they are about 8 months now though we think George is 2 months younger than the lady told us and they just started living together officially a few days ago so I’m assuming that’s why taco is doing it but he does it for literal hours and follows George to the point he can’t eat in peace (he’s able to but taco is literally up his butt doing the strut and all) I think George may have just mounted taco a bit ago because he’s fed up I’m not sure I know that’s a dominant thing too though
They are both teenagers, hormones are raging and on top of that if they’ve only been together a couple of days then they are in a high tension scenario. It takes two weeks for them to fully establish a relationship so they are trying to do that on top of everything else.
Don’t worry about low level dominance behaviours - Mounting and rumbling is dominance, entirely normal and will continue throughout their entire lives.