• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Put My Boys Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flm1977

ok early I know so don't shout at me LOL, they are together and no point in seperating them again because it's early. John is 1yr old and Bob is 9 weeks.

Anyways, have taken it very slowly. Have let them had a sniff at each other in passing. John went mental, so much loud wheeking I've never heard him do before.
Then we took one on our lap for a bit, then the other to smell them, seperately like on barmy4boars advice
Then we had them in indoor pens side by side so could see/hear/smell each other but not touch. Know that each other was there. Did this for a couple of days.
Then last night we decided to put them together with some food for distraction. It was pretty intense. Lots of rumbling and raised fur from John, he sounds like a helicopter! And he stretches hiimself out and walks funny...rumble strutting maybe? Also a lot fo rubbing his chin/licking the floor (scent territorymarking?) A lot of mounting going on but it is very clear that John thinks he is the boss. No teeth chattering (not that I know what it sounds like but I've not heard anything other than rumbling from John) and nothing but happy noises from Bob. It certainly didn't look like they were going to be best buddies. But no fighting, no bites, no yawning, no standing on their back legs, etc. Left them for 3hrs together and after about the first hour things settled a bit, not as intense anyway.
Wondered if to seperate the cage overnight but thought no and got up this morning to find Bob in one pigloo and John up and about, both ok.
But when they went into the cage, they immediately went into the same pigloo and cuddled up. Shared food and hay. Sometimes they just do their own thing but John is driving me nuts.

He is doing a mega lot of rumbling at Bob, even circling round and round him rumbling, Bob can be sitting on other side of cage/pen and John's sounding like the helicopters that fly over my house (we're under a lfight path) To the point now where I'm thinking for goodness sake John shut up! It's almost constant rumbling and strutting, But then he will stop and they will both eat, cuddle up together in the one house, it's odd. But he also seems to jump and bounce while doing this rumbling as well so I can't tell if he's not happy or what?

I've got 2 of everything but seems they are eating from the same food bowl and I'm wondering if John is bullying Bob a bit, seen him take food off him twice now tonight, although this afternoon they were sharing the same piece of carrot.
Other times they seem happy and Bob is equally not shutting up but is just wheeking quietly,no rumbling etc.

John's rumbling was driving me to distraction tonight so we divided the cage, only for them to go looking for each other and John to open the divider, get through and start eating from Bob's bowl ::)

So I'm not sure what to do? How long is this likely to go on for and when should I seperate if I should? Should I only seperate if it comes to fighting and blood and leave it as normal behaviour that should settle down? Or should I seperate before either of them gets unhappy?
It would be fine if it wasn't for John's rumbling!
Any advice much appreciated :)

Well now that you have done it, you shouldnt divide them again, it just confuses them. Leave them be but keep a close eye. John is stating clearly who is boss and Bob is a bub still so he will be fine with that. The tricky time may be when Bob hits puberty (around 3 months old) but for now I would leave them :)

ROFL Helicopters! :-D I agree with Jade, don't seperate them again. Sounds like they are just doing their thing. Mine rumbled a lot at Cuzzy and Sunshine and Twinkle are always nicking food off one another but then you look again and they are cuddled up in a pigloo and they have seperate ones too!

Just see how they go, fingers crossed it works out.

Louise
:)

Mine are exactly the same, Bee is the little one and i dont think she's the dominant one but she seems to get a bit hormonal and rumbles sometimes at Bumble (btw does anyone else think its hilarious that they look so cute when they're trying to scare us?!) Bumble doesn't seem fazed in the least bit! They constantly rob food off eachother but then cuddle up together fine, and i always catch them lying down side by side going to sleep lol, i wouldn't separate until it came to fighting, it sounds like completely normal behaviour to me, you have to remember that all piggies are different with different attitudes etc. Bee sometimes seems to rumble at herself lol she's that hyper she doesn't shut up n never stops running round, i always thought there was something up but it's just her personality ;D ! Give it a week and u'l get to know what their usual behaviour towards eachother is and u'l know through instinct when to separate O0
Good Luck
Emma x

Thanks so much guys. So it sounds all perfectly normal and leave them be unless they start to really fight. I can do that :)
It's funny, they seem to do better at living together when they are in the cage, than when they are taken out and put in a run/pen. They've made no noise at each other this morning, both have been up and about, swapped houses a few times, eaten etc and no rumbling from John.
But I'm fairly sure that once I take them out it will start again ::)

ooo much much better today! John hasn't rumbled much, he seems to rumble most when he knows I'm about.

Both out in the hall just now, I laid down 2 towels with 2 lots of the same food and they are sharing quite happily!

I still don't get the mix of rumbling and then bouncing all over the place from John LOL
piggiestogther1.jpg

wanted to add this photo to last message but computer went funny

Taken Tonight

piggiestogether2.jpg

So far so good! They are real handsome boys :smitten:

I have just seen your number of posts cobwebandpigpig...I thought I was addicted, you have long passed me out :D ;D ;D

Ahhhh, I will have to pay it a visit soon then...I am too busy being nosey on the rest of the forum ;D

I was going to say race you to 2500 posts but on second thoughts..NO! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back