• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Putting A Boar Back In With His Brothers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MycuteBoys

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, it's me :)
I'm wondering if it's possible to put oreo back in with his two bothers once their hormones have settled down in appox 2-3 months time? The reason I ask is because ive always kept oreo, pip and fudge near each other, had them next to each other at run time, had them out all together (not all on the same lap :) ) for lap time since I had to remove oreo. Today oreo who is a very checky piggy got in with his brother by accident (at run time) and all three were rumbling, popcorning, and a little bit of humping and biting ....I say biting it was more going to bite but didn't, they seemed really happy lots of squeaking and popcorning the whole time they even eating the hay together and resting. They did seem happy to around each other the rumbling only latest 5 minutes and they were together for an hour while I watched them from the kitchen, I'm wondering if it would be possible to put them back together in a few months time if this behavior they are showing continues :)
Thank you for any advice given :)
Kell.

I hope he it can work out for them. It sounds like he recognised his brothers and enjoyed their company!

I hope he it can work out for them. It sounds like he recognised his brothers and enjoyed their company!
So do I Mr :) ive always kept them close to each other ever since I spilt them up after oreo was bitten badly and attached. I think if I give them time together every day at run time for the next few months until they hormones have settled I hope to be able to try them in a clean hutch together :). ....well that's the plan anyway :))

You can always try, provided that the separation wasn't caused by a fight with full-on bites. However, you may find that things are still not working out or that the balance is going to remain rather fragile and that it all can blow up again. It is more likely that the boys may tolerate shared run and/or lawn time, but that they need their own territories for living. Please be also aware that there is a certain risk that you can end up with three single boars if all goes horribly pear-shaped.

Ideally, you could start with shared lawn or run time and see how that is going down. Stay close with an oven glove to be able to intervene at any time.

You can always try, provided that the separation wasn't caused by a fight with full-on bites. However, you may find that things are still not working out or that the balance is going to remain rather fragile and that it all can blow up again. It is more likely that the boys may tolerate shared run and/or lawn time, but that they need their own territories for living. Please be also aware that there is a certain risk that you can end up with three single boars if all goes horribly pear-shaped.

Ideally, you could start with shared lawn or run time and see how that is going down. Stay close with an oven glove to be able to intervene at any time.
Perfect thank you Wiebke, I think oreo is very happy to be on his own but does enjoy time with his brother so even if I was to keep oreo In his own hutch (I may change him to a 5/6ft single story hutch if so and pop Alex and his friend to be in oreos hutch) and provide him with sort supervised daily run time with his brothers i think that would work out great. I fully understand all that you have said I'm very grateful for your reply thank you :) that's true about their homes being territories and affecting pip and fudges bond which I really wouldn't want to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back