Putting Three Sows Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hI

I have a sow on her own and I have a friend who is looking to re-home her two sows as the children no longer want them. Is it possible for me to put the two sows with mine. I have got the space as we have a very large double hutch but I already have two sows on the bottom level. She is a lovely girl and very placid and laid back. Can anyone help.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
You have to see how the personalities mix, making any predictions is impossible in my own experience with sow bondings.
Please do so on neutral ground and clean and rearrange/neutralise the hutch completely before transferring all Girls over if/once they have settled down and have sorted out who Comes top. Please consider what you do in case things don't work out between them.
Please read These threads here carefully:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sow-behaviour.38561/

AlexAys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your girl might be very placid until she meets another guinea pig. My snowy was until she got her new partner peanut. Started with the yawning (I really don't like you), teeth chattering (ditto), and then a fair bit of nipping. Worked out ok in the end ( after about 3 weeks), but a fair bit of stress in between.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I would try introducing them side my side in different cages to begin with to see what their reaction is to each other. If you can set up a neutral space to introduce them this would be best, the bigger the space with lots of tunnels (to hide in but so no one can get cornered), and a nice big plate covered in a vast mountain of veg (to help distract them). It can work, I had no problem at all bonding Pete with my two girls and again when I introduced Jemima into the group. I had no problems bonding Bumble with Buddy but when Buddy passed and I wanted to put Bumble back into the group I had a nightmare. I first had to bond her with Jemima in a separate room, left them several days then added Bea. After a couple of hours of no fighting I put Peter in and luckily that was them bonded back together but there were some very tense moments indeed.

By the way Bumble is the quietest, most timid pig I have seen and she was full on lunging at Peter when I first tried to put her back in. It might be worth checking the recommended rescues on the rescue locater tab and see if anyone would be willing to help you with the bonding process if you are worried or have any difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.