• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pyometra - Spay Aftercare

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyPig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for spay aftercare. My guinea pig Ginny was diagnosed with pyometra and spayed yesterday. I'm lucky to have a very experience and knowledgeable exotic vet who got Ginny through the surgery no problems, in fact he said she sailed through it! But her condition was awful and quite nasty and she would have likely died if I hadnt agreed to the surgery.
They kept her in overnight and I've picked her up this evening. She's had her cage mate Oscar (neutered) with her the entire time so she hasn't been alone.
I've got meds to give her over the next week and will be going back next Thursday.
She's been given metacam and marbocyl, do either of these suppress appetite?
I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to help her recovery well. Since bringing her home she's had some romaine and is now munching away on her hay and seems much more relaxed.
They've found it difficult to monitor her at the vets due to her being so shy and Oscar being such a greedy pig!
It's been a very stressful and worrying few days and she's survived such a big surgery I just want to do all I can to help her recover.

Poor you! My Cariad had an emergency spay two years ago to the day due to being borderline pyometric with a grossly enlarged, fluid filled womb that also contained a lump. Thankfully, she just sailed through her operation and never lost any weight (apart from what accounted for the lost body part). She was a tiny only 700g four year old at the time.

Please make sure that you give a pinch of probiotic 1-2 hours after the antibiotic dose, as marbocyl is a stronger form of baytril. Weigh Ginny daily at the same time in the feeding cycle and if necessary top her up with hand feed. it is good that she has got her appetite back; that is encouraging. Her body will take 2-3 days until it settles down after a major operation, during which time she may feel a bit rough (and hence why you have been given the metacam for). The wounds should be knitted about 10-14 days after the operation.
All necessary information in here (including probiotics and vitamin C): https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/

Cariad was together with her dominant neutered boar Bryn Oscar all the time, who was actually pretty caring with her. I moved her back in with her group as soon as I was sure that she was eating normally and that her weight was steady, which happened on the second or third day after her op.
Having a companion and being in her normal surroundings will help her feel relaxed and less stressed. If necessary, take her out for a little extra feed. Just give her companion a much smaller portion of what you give her so she doesn't smell any different when she comes back.

It was good that you did get to a good vet just in time; pyometra can kill very quickly if caught too late. Hopefully, Ginny will also have a straight forward and smooth recovery. :(

Please see your vets promptly if you notice either a suddden loss of weight/loss of appetite or if she seems suddenly listless and apathetic.

All the best!

Thank you so much for all your advice Wiebke, it's extremely helpful! I'm so glad Cariad sailed through her op too, it is so worrying with such an invasive procedure.
I'll make sure to get some probiotic tomorrow for her. Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back