• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Quantities to introduce new hay advice?

Sally Newbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
I have bought some Natures Own meadow hay which I want to switch my guinea pigs to for bedding and eating. It is much greener than my current hay. Last night, I gave 2 handfuls in a bowl which the 2 of them adored and it was gone within about 15 minutes. I have done the same tonight and it has been scoffed immediately. There are a lot more poos today but they don't seem unusually soft. So can anyone give me advice - how long do I give 2 handfuls for and when can I start to increase it and by how much? I don't want to just be giving them a handful more per day or I'll still be introducing it at Christmas! But I don't want yet another tummy upset. They obviously love it, so I know they will be stuffing themselves with it a lot more than their normal meadow hay.

Hay doesn’t need to be gradually switched over (it’s only pellet food and veggies which need to be switched over gradually and introduced slowly).
Until I started having haybox hay, I was always chopping and changing from one brand of hay to the next

A few months ago, they had lots of very green hay and they had a big tummy upset after. So I've been paranoid! So if I give them the new hay tomorrow for bedding and eating, you think they will be ok? It is much greener than my usual stuff but you think that won't upset those tummies?

If you’re worried then you could switch it over during the course of the week, but I’ve never gradually introduced from one type of hay to the next - not with my piggies, nor 30 years of rabbit keeping - if I went to get another bag of hay and it didn’t look as good as previously, I’d just grab a different type and use it as normal

There has definitely been a lot more poos though with the new greener hay. I suppose I could mix the old and new together for a few weeks. They just seem to have soft poos at the drop of a hat!

There has definitely been a lot more poos though with the new greener hay. I suppose I could mix the old and new together for a few weeks. They just seem to have soft poos at the drop of a hat!

Best to be cautious if they are prone to it then

Back