• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Quarantine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmad31

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya! My 15 week old guinea goofy has is grieving after his brother died and he's on his own.iv managed to find a 6weeker baby who were picking up on the 11th but I didn't realise quarentine is needed for new guineas.
My worry is that Goofy can't wait another 3 weeks,he's OK when we get him out for a cuddle but in his hutch he won't eat and he won't play,he just sits in his pod looking sad.He will eat but only when on our laps. What's everyone's advice? We were advised to get a guinea 6ish weeks and defo younger that 8 weeks as itl be better for bonding the younger his is but if we quarentine the baby will be 8ish weeks.I was hoping to get them bonded by then?advice please :) xx This is our newbie iv reserved called MaxIMG_1488372519028.jpg

Hiya! My 15 week old guinea goofy has is grieving after his brother died and he's on his own.iv managed to find a 6weeker baby who were picking up on the 11th but I didn't realise quarentine is needed for new guineas.
My worry is that Goofy can't wait another 3 weeks,he's OK when we get him out for a cuddle but in his hutch he won't eat and he won't play,he just sits in his pod looking sad.He will eat but only when on our laps. What's everyone's advice? We were advised to get a guinea 6ish weeks and defo younger that 8 weeks as itl be better for bonding the younger his is but if we quarentine the baby will be 8ish weeks.I was hoping to get them bonded by then?advice please :) xx This is our newbie iv reserved called MaxView attachment 59852

Hi! It is always a weighing up of conflicting needs with bereaved guinea pigs - a lot depends on a) if the companion died of an infectious disease b) the bereaved piggy is acutely pining or very depressed and c) or if the piggy in question is coping and you have the leisure to wait and make sure that you can rescue date an already quarantined/healthy piggy or - if that is not an option - quarantine the new arrival to make sure that that piggy is not carrying anything in, especially if you have more than just a single piggy at home at the time.

If you cannot/do not want to quarantine, you have to be aware that you will have to treat both piggies if a contagious issue turns up (typically ringworm, mange mites or URI/respiratory infection).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back