• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Question About Piggies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there! This'll probably sound odd...But do Guinea pigs in any way store food away in their mouths?

I'm just wondering why they appear to randomly eat when you're holding them...

But as far as I know, they don't have pouches; do they just chew for ages?

Thank you in advance for anything you guys can tell me about it! <3

Happy new year! <3~ xx

Sometimes they chatter their teeth and look like they eating.I don't think they store food like hamsters

No, they dont have pouches. Sometimes they hold a bit of food in their mouths occationally. usually they will grind there teeth is there grumpy, but mine sometimes just chew air, i know what ** referring to. Sounds like usual behaviour.

x.

Sometimes they chatter their teeth and look like they eating.I don't think they store food like hamsters

It doesn't actually sound like they're 'chattering', if you know what I mean. It actually sounds like eating...

No, they dont have pouches. Sometimes they hold a bit of food in their mouths occationally. usually they will grind there teeth is there grumpy, but mine sometimes just chew air, i know what ** referring to. Sounds like usual behaviour.

x.

I'm not sure if it's out of grumpy-ness...it's literally just like they start eating out of no where almost.

Thank you both for your input! :D

I know what you mean, mine do it too. It's not grinding, but it looks as if they're eating. I never know if they're actually eating or if they are just moving their mouths...hmmm ?/

My guinea pigs always have a mouth full of food, when the vet checks their teeth he has too rinse their mouth first.

my piggies do that. and usually when one does it, at least one of the others seems to do it in reply. i've always just assumed it was one of those things that they do. i've heard them chatter their teeth and grumble, but i've always associated the chewing thing with them being happy, as mine have always done it when they're laid back and happy :)

sounds like teeth grinding, which is different to teeth chattering I think :)

Mine do this, they are fairly new and shy tho but coming round more every day. they also do a rumbly sound quietly.

Its more of a teeth grind rather than eating. I have also heard a pig do the chatter but that is quite different and aggresive

Maybe they have bits of hay lurking around in there? Mine don't do it, but occasionally I pick one up mid hay munching...

Guinea pigs always have food in their mouth all the time which is normal. They have very long mouths and keep chewed food at the back. Whenever the vet checks their teeth they can't really see due to the chewed up food :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back