• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Question - coughing

Britteves93

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My baby girl nyx woke me up because she started coughing and I'm concerned because I'm not sure if Maybe she's getting a cold or if she could have just eaten to fast or something but I'm going to call the vet right away in the morning for an appointment but in the meantime does anyone have any tips for me on how to help her with the coughing in case it is a cold until I can call and make an appointment with her vet?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Guinea pigs don’t get colds. They can get bacterial respiratory infections though and only a vet can help with that.
If she has eaten too fast then the coughing will stop once she has cleared whatever caused the irritation. If it becomes a consistent and is accompanied by the symptoms of a uri, then it’s important to get to the vet.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Or am I possibly over worrying about the cough?
An occasional cough only when eating often is just because they’ve eaten too fast, they have narrow airways and a bit of dust irritation, or eating fast can cause coughs and sneezes. We can’t say for sure though what has caused it in this case. All I can suggest is that you monitor her and speak to the vet. i always feel it’s best to get things checked out and it not be anything than leave it and it turns into something