• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

question for you all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig David

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This may be a daft question to some people but its a possible scenario that could arise in the future.

Would it be possible to keep a jack russell in the same house as guinea pigs? or would it not be fair to either one?

your thoughts appreciated.

I have no idea but I would like to know the answer too! I would like a dog at some point in the future :)

thanks haha. i might have to take on the family dog at some point and I'm worried that i couldnt keep my pigs or vice versa. i just cant imagine a jack russell would settle with guinea pigs in the house xx

i have two dogs and my pigs are indoor piggies, you just have to keep your eyes open thats all. My pigs have their c&c cage on top of the two dogs cages, how mad is that....the 2 pigs have the same size area as two dogs!!

can i ask what you do about floor time or do you keep htem in their cc cages?

i *** just be so worried. our jack russell is a terror she would be on the ball xx

A jack russel is a terrier, isn't it? IE, a dog specifically bred to hunt rodents. So it may be a problem. I mean, if you're Cesar Millan or someone, I'm sure you could train the dog not to regard them as allowable prey, but you couldn't just get one and expect it to work out okay with no preparation.

can i ask what you do about floor time or do you keep htem in their cc cages?

i *** just be so worried. our jack russell is a terror she would be on the ball xx

to be honest...during floor time the dogs lay by the side of the play pen and just watch them....they are more interested in their poos!!

i have a whippet and a whippet crossed with a lab, so they arent tiny dogs and they are interested...but like i say more so in the piggypoo delights!

the dog i had before these two was also really good.

Maybe you could introduce the dog to the pigs slowly prior to it moving in if it isnt coming yet?

Hi,

I have indoor guinea pigs and a very large dog.

My piggies are upstairs in the bedroom and my dog isn't allowed upstairs, plus we shut the door.

My sister has two hose rabbits and a jack russell cross and another jack russell which is her boyfriends and the older jack russell now ignores the rabbits when in their cages

Jack russells by nature are bred to seek out rodents but i would say it depends on the personalty of the dog, if its a boucey young dog then i would **** try to keep them apart, or at least the piggies in a room where the dog is never allowed.

x.

I think as long as your very careful you may be okay. As AJB says, Jack Russells are bred to hunt, but that said, you know your own dogs and pigs best :)

My pigs go to my mums if we go away and she had a labrador and a young beagle. Poppy (beagle) is not interested at all, Zac (lab) likes to watch what they're up to, but neither has attempted to get to the pigs, but then they're never all alone together :)

I have 3 dogs and a few guinea pigs and everything is fine the guinea pigs live in my dinning room and i shut the dogs out most of the time but when they do go in i just keep my eye on them all .

thanks guys.

this is the problem i do know my dog and she absolutely hates anything small and furry. she has killed loads of mice, she has killed a rat.. i just dont think it would be fair. She would be on pins all the time wanting to get to them.

if i had to chose between the dog and the pigs i would have to choose the dog cus shes my family dog and we had her 6 years. Its just gutting thats all. its a big decision to have to make but i cant let the dog go.

I have a rescue dog Tara and I kept the boys in our home for three months, we kept them in a seperate room, that was always closed if they were having floor time, and tara was introduced to them whilst they were safely in their cage. I'd say keeping a dog in the house is fine, as long as you don't leave them alone together :)

I would make sure you keep the dog and piggies separate as other people have suggested. When I was a girl, my grandparents had a Jack Russell. The dog killed one of my cousins' hamsters when they went to visit. The dog went to the hamster's cage and got excited so someone had the bright idea of taking the hamster out and showing it to the dog. mallethead You can't blame dogs for doing what they were bred to do, so make sure you keep your pigs safe

We had a JRT when I was little & guineas and a bunny. One day we found her laid in the bunny's hutch snuggled up to the bunny lol

Obviously everything depends on the dogs nature and never leave them unsupervised together.

I have a cat and my piggy is indoors.
You obviously have to keep your eyes peeled with the cat as you just never know what they can do.
Shes not really too fussed about the piggy, sometimes she stares at him but never does anything. I'd never leave them in the room together though.

Reggie is not bothered about the cat either. He never seems scared of her.
As for play time I always kick the cat out lol x

Mum has two jack russell's, 7piggies and two cats kept in her house, the jack russells are very good natured though and have always been around them. As for floor time she has a ball pit from ELC and watches them in it in the living room.

Jack Russels are supposed to be kind of... Untrustworthy and volatile, but I think it would depend if you raised it from a puppy to respect them. Don't get an adult one in with them because unless it's been raised especially for being with small animals...

I knew a Jack Russel who tried to kill a horse (and no, he did not succeed :(|) ). Just saying.

ye thanks for all your words people.

my jack russell is 6 years old so I'm guessing its a no no.

dont know what I'm going to do to be honest. I'm a bit gutted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back