• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Question--Hay area in cage with fleece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've read that many of you who use fleece have a hay area (such as in a cat litter box). I am trying this out but had a question...
Do you change all the hay delay? Mine seemed pretty gross today with poop and pee all over the hay.
Any suggestions?

Yes I change the hay daily, they really get excited with the routine of fresh hay to explore, and wet hay smells quite a bit too. Give the box a rince and dry and replace with new hay, also I put the more expensive hay such as Oxbow orchard or timothy etc in a hay rack above the hay box so they have fresh stuff to nibble on too.

Yes, I change the hay daily, sometimes twice. I put newspaper in the bottom and then a layer of aubiose or megazorb (which I change every 3 days). Also hay in the hay rack.

:)

If you put newspaper underneath it just rolls up and takes all the waste with it. Very easy to keep on top of. Now al I need is a mini hoover for the fleece :))

i change mine daily too even though Reggie is really clean and doesnt wee or poo in that area. He seems to like one corner of his cage to do his toilet business lol x

I change my hay trays every two days (at the same time I change and clean out the cage anyway), but I put a layer of newspaper and then woodshavings in the bottom, followed by a layer of cheap hay on top (to avoid contact with the woodshavings. I do this because the trays are very much used as toilet corners as well. The bottom layers take care of the smell and prevent the hay from turning into a sludgy mess within minutes - nine piggies in one group produce a lot of waste in an amazingly short time!

I change the hay tray every other day. I use a puppy pa in the tray which soaks up the wee so it doesn't smell

Maybe you could have hay racks above the litter trays so they can eat the nice hay and then just put cheaper hay in the litter trays, then you wont be wasting much money cleaning the litters trays out daily. I have a large hayloft and change that every 2to 3 days, but i also have hay racks too downstairs.

:)

I don't use any fleece (or woodshavings), just a thick layer of newspaper with a thin layer of hay.
When I clean the cage (every day) I retrieve any hay which is still clean enough to be used as bedding, then roll up the newspaper with the dirty hay, poo etc in it and put it to be burnt (we have an open fireplace).
Then I put in a fresh wad of newspaper, put back any leftover cleanish hay and top up with fresh hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back