• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Question re males & female

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I have one female and five male guinea pigs. I feel like having a female is causing problems for my boys. None of them want to get along. They have to be kept near each other. I have two 10 1/2 square foot cages and the female in a separate cage. Would the best thing be to place the female?

It might be a good idea placing your lady on top where the boys can't see her. But that will deprive her of direct interaction with other guinea pigs.

How old is she?

They are all probably less than one year old. She is the mother of one of the males and I rescued her with him from a snake food situation so he actually mated with his mom once while he was in that situation with her but fortunately she didn't get pregnant from him after her last litter. I took him to a guinea pig fun show and he was still smaller than all the males and would not back down if they wanted to be dominant (in the boys yard area)! He is feisty - I think it is because he knows what life's all about for a male piggie. I have thought about putting her higher but was concerned the skin cells would fall down (gravity) and they would actually smell her more! Unless spaying would make a difference in how they react to her I may contact rescue to see if they will do a courtesy post and possible placement. I had someone interested in her and her son (if I neutered him) but that gal's husband wouldn't let her get two piggies and I didn't want to place her alone.

As long as the boars smell a female they will likely be agitated.

If you could keep them far apart from her, it would probably be best. But there are also some males that dislike each other for different reasons.

I'm not sure if fixing the gal will help, but I do know for a fact the smell of a female will cause conflict between hormonal or mature males.

If my boys get so much as a whiff of my girls they're at logger heads, so now I have to deal with the boys first and then move on to the girls, in fact I'm thinking of seperating the boys with some c&c cage panels as they've already drawn blood several times (for no logical reason) but everytime I seperate them they squeak constantly so I think the best option is that if they can still see, talk and smell each other but can't actually fight with each other then things will be better alround.

Yes, I have my boys all separated in C&C cages and the female too. I just emailed our rescue to see if they could help place her since I have to keep them in the same room and they said yes. So I will keep her and just bring her to meet potential adopters that want a female to be a companion with their female or neutered male. I rescued her with her son from a snake food situation is how I ended up with one female and five males. I am hoping some of the boys will live with each other once her scent is completely gone. I will give them some time and give it a whirl. I'll post in a few weeks to give an update. Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back