Question

Fastpaintedhorse

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi So I have 2 guinea pigs and was wondering what A good wait To keep them at is. Last week they weighed 1lb And now they way Around 2lb. They're both 1 year-old.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
There’s no such thing as keeping them at a good weight. A weight which is good for one piggy is not right for another - their individual heft is the indication of what is good for their own personal body condition because piggies come in different shapes and sizes.

Their diet needs to be unlimited amounts of hay. Veg and pellets are snacks and they can be fed 50g of veg per day and just one tablespoon of pellets per day and have unlimited fresh filtered drinking water. They will then find their own natural weight in their own time.

Do check their weight again - they could not have put on 1lb (450g) in one week.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pellets should really just be limited to one tablespoon per pig per day as they are almost like the junk food of the piggie world!
However the rest of your quantities seem okay.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The pellets that I'm using are Oxbow essentials.
As far as I know they are a good pellet (i believe is more popular in the US than here though).
Do just ensure you keep them to just one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day. They must not have unlimited pellets

Did you check their weights again? They couldn’t have gained 1lb in a week