Questions About A Baby Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cute_Guineapigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I've decided to get a baby boar for my single boar, Charlie. Neutering him and getting a sow would be too risky and not practical in our situation. He seemed fearful of adult boars, so decided to go for a baby boar.

I'm getting one from a breeder. He's 8 weeks old. I've read on here about quarantine, is this necessary? I've thought about doing the bonding slowly, with bars separating them, but would this be necessary with a baby boar? Would it be better to bond them Asap before the hormones arrive in a couple of months?

katie-elizabeth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If hormones are going to play a part, it won't make a difference if you leave it a while or bond them straight away. Boars are more likely to accept a baby but it still ultimately depends on personality and getting through the hormone stage...
It is also best to quarantine where possible, better to be safe and it's only for a week or two :)
When I introduced my new baby boar to my adult boar I let them interact through the bars for a few days and I do think it helps!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

I've decided to get a baby boar for my single boar, Charlie. Neutering him and getting a sow would be too risky and not practical in our situation. He seemed fearful of adult boars, so decided to go for a baby boar.

I'm getting one from a breeder. He's 8 weeks old. I've read on here about quarantine, is this necessary? I've thought about doing the bonding slowly, with bars separating them, but would this be necessary with a baby boar? Would it be better to bond them Asap before the hormones arrive in a couple of months?
Would you be able to get to one of our recommended good standard and piggy savvy rescues for some boar dating at the rescue? That would solve the most important issue in any boar bond - character compatibility and mutual liking, and you would always have the rescue to fall back on if your boys get into trouble along the way.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

By buying a baby on spec you run the risk that they may not click right from the start (not every baby is to every boar's liking!) and that is even before the baby hits the big teenage hormones. If you really want to get a baby and do the bonding yourself, it is easier to bond one that is under 3-4 months old. But you have to have a plan B at the ready in case they turn out to be both too dominant.

Cute_Guineapigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I do always listen to everyone that replies to my threads and I fully appreciate all your help. I just feel that a baby is the best for Charlie. The breeder I'm getting the baby from has said that she'll take him back if they don't bond.

I'll do the 2 week quarantine, and then I'll do bonding with bars between them, and we'll see how it goes.

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi @Cute_Guineapigs

We've successfully bonded three pairs of boars. One pair were 2 and 2 and a half years old (roughly), another were around 4 and 6 months and the latest paid are 7 weeks and 9 months :) It's all gone very well, especially the younger ones. TK did what he had to do, christened Tyrion (7 week old) but then that was it! Bonding is always nerve racking because you don't know if your guinea's will bond or if they will remain friends once bonded... For example we got two himi's that were apparently ok at the rescue.. they got here and non wanted to back down, they both wanted to be dominant, they ended up fighting so we had to split them, TK is one of them, the other is going to be neutered to go with the sows we have.

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.