Questions about boars

• Thread starter Piggies12437392
  • Start date
P

Piggies12437392

1. How many can happily live together?
2. How often should I wash a fleece liner?
3. How many cups of veggies should 2 month old boars get?
4. How often should I do floor/lap time?
5. Do they need a pen for floor time?
6. What is the fastest way to bond with them/ get them to like you?
7. Is a 3x5 c and c cage big enough for two boars?
8. Are 2 hides, 3 tunnels, and a fleece curtain enough for 2 boars?
9. Should I have 2 of everything?
10. Where is the cheapest place to get fleece pads for under the hides
11. How often should I sweep out the cage ( their mostly litter trained, they just have a few accidents while there in their hides)

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
11. How often should I sweep out the cage ( their mostly litter trained, they just have a few accidents while there in their hides)
1. Two only
2. Every 5-7 days
3. One cup each. And one tablespoon of young piggy pellets or a tablespoon of adult piggy pellets. Avoid any that have alfalfa/lucerne in them.
4. Floor time I would say as much as you can. Lap time depends on them and whether they like it.
5. It is best to start with a play pen unless you have somewhere to put them that they won’t get stuck in nooks and crannies or get to things they shouldn’t.
6. their trusting you depends on them. Take it at their pace. Try hand feeding veg. I’ll link a guide for you to read below.
7. Yes that’s a good size.
8. Yes
9. Definitely two of everything.
10. If you have a search there’s a thread for people who sell pee pads.
11. Poo picking/sweeping should be done daily. Piggies can’t be litter trained and will go wherever they’re eating or sleeping.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Please take the time to carefully read our comprehensive boar guide and the settling in/human interaction guides. Please be aware that guinea pigs are prey animals and that unless you adopt a stably bonded pair that is used to human interaction from a good welfare standard rescue they have generally not had anything in the way of friendly human interaction. Unlike what all those 'cute' videos on social media suggest, most piggies are not big cuddlers.

They should answer most of your questions and some more that you haven't thought about yet.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

Here is our comprehensive new owners information collection with resources (including links to recommended rescues and a guide dealing with the most common pitfalls that can come with unquarantined pet shop and breeder piggies together with your customer rights information). Our collection addresses all the areas we get the most regularly asked questions and concerns about. It also contains guides that help you to learn what is normal and not and establish health monitoring routines that can save lives in the longer term.
I would strongly recommend to bookmark the link and to use the collection as a resource as you go along; it is always worth reading/re-reading guides as you pick up on different aspects with your growing experience. The guide format allows us to update and extend the information at need. You can access our full and even wider information via the guides shortcut on the top bar.
Here is the link: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with Wiebke that the best answer to all of those questions is in the guides, or specific threads, but here are my quick answers as the owner of two board.

1. You can’t have more than 2 boars together, but a neutered boat can live with a herd of females.

2. You should wash your fleece liner whenever you feel it needs it, or when it starts to smell. Most of us here do it every 2-4 days on average I reckon.

3. If you mean US cups, then I’m afraid I’m not very good with those measurements! My two 18 month old boars share a small soup bowl of veggies between them each day, so less than that for babies.

4. Floor time and lap time are best done regularly to give them some enrichment and also to help create a bond with your pigs. I give mine floor time and cuddles each day, but it depends on how much time you have. I would certainly say a couple of times a week at least, or every other day. It could just been a 10 minute cuddle each day. Consistency helps them to get used to you and comfortable with you 🙂

5. It depends where you have floor time. If you are in an enclosed room with nothing they can get stuck under or in, and nothing they can chew, then they don’t need a pen. Mine free run in the bathroom. But in a bigger room, or a room with dogs etc. then a pen is best.

6. Cuddling them, talking to them, spending time with them etc. these are all ways to build a bond. Guinea pigs are prey animals, so it takes them a while to stop being skittish, but if you stick at it, they will come around (more lap and floor time helps).

7. Yes, a 3x5 c&c is definitely big enough.

8. That sounds like a good selection of things to start with. But you can always add toys and hides as you go along.

9. Two of everything is a good idea, especially with boats to stop them arguing over things when they hit their terrible teens! Two bowls, two water bottles, two hides and two hay areas/racks are going to be the most important.

10. I bought my liners, hides and fleeces from Etsy, which has a whole variety of different items and prices. My pee pads (reusable human ones) I bought from Amazon.

11. Well done if yours are litter trained! Most piggies cannot be trained to toilet in certain areas. Most of us here spot clean each day (getting rid of any poop and swapping out any smelly pee pads) and then do a full wash and change over of fleeces every few days. But it’s whatever works best for you.

Good luck! Sounds like you have two lucky little boys living with you!