• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • Potential Forum Meet - Manchester Saturday March 2nd Details here!.
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.
  • As from Wednesday, 30th January, Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic will be relocating to 1 The Drive, Northampton, NN1 4RY

Quick bloat question

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
Feeding loads of readigrass, giving toilet roll tubes stuffed with readigrass, messaging her belly and putting her in my foot spa wrapped in a towel lol. But I can't remember for the life of me if I should be giving or witholding vegetables?

Thank you

Swissgreys

Staff member
I would withhold veggies for now, particulary as some veggies can trigger bloat in sensitive piggies.
I think the key with bloat is fibre, fibre, fibre (so hay).
Also massage (which you are doing) and getting her moving around (so floor time).

Is she on any other meds for the bloat?

Wiebke

Staff member
Feeding loads of readigrass, giving toilet roll tubes stuffed with readigrass, messaging her belly and putting her in my foot spa wrapped in a towel lol. But I can't remember for the life of me if I should be giving or witholding vegetables?

Thank you
Here is our bloat advice. Please see a vet promptly for medication. Bloat is a serious condition. Do not feed veg, in case one of them has caused the bloating.
Bloat, GI Stasis ( No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
I would withhold veggies for now, particulary as some veggies can trigger bloat in sensitive piggies.
I think the key with bloat is fibre, fibre, fibre (so hay).
Also massage (which you are doing) and getting her moving around (so floor time).

Is she on any other meds for the bloat?
Yeah, took her to the vets yesterday. She's on ranitidine and painkiller. She's done quite a few misshapen poops overnight so I'm gunna put her back in the pig room with the girls tonight as long as she keeps popping throughout the day. She'll be sick of listening to me snoring in bed next to her lol

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
Bloat can come back so hang on to any left over meds just in case, but always phone the vet to check- often if you just phone to say, my bloaty pig bloated again, should I give the same meds, they will say ok and bring them in if they dont improve or get worse in the next few hours. Puggle had 6 or 7 bloaty episodes about once a week after her first bad acute bloat attack, and it really helped having the meds there when it came on late saturday night/early sunday morning- that happened 3 times! After the 6th or 7th weekly bloat she got prescribed enough ranitidine to last 3 months just in case it was a permanent thing, but typical awkward piggy she hasnt bloated at all since then and can even eat coriander now which we think was the trigger food... I still have the ranitidine just in case though, and I'm always watching her when she has coriander or broccolli or one spinach leaf too many just in case!

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
Bloat can come back so hang on to any left over meds just in case, but always phone the vet to check- often if you just phone to say, my bloaty pig bloated again, should I give the same meds, they will say ok and bring them in if they dont improve or get worse in the next few hours. Puggle had 6 or 7 bloaty episodes about once a week after her first bad acute bloat attack, and it really helped having the meds there when it came on late saturday night/early sunday morning- that happened 3 times! After the 6th or 7th weekly bloat she got prescribed enough ranitidine to last 3 months just in case it was a permanent thing, but typical awkward piggy she hasnt bloated at all since then and can even eat coriander now which we think was the trigger food... I still have the ranitidine just in case though, and I'm always watching her when she has coriander or broccolli or one spinach leaf too many just in case!
I've got a good bit of the ranitidine and a full bottle of metacam so I'll hang onto it. I thought only gassy veggies like cabbage, sprouts etc caused bloat and otherwise it was just one of those things that happen. Didn't know corriander could cause it at all. I gave her butternut squash the other day and it was the first time they'd ever had it. So maybe it was that then...
Thanks alot.

VickiA

Staff member
Poop output is always good.
I’d avoid all veg until poop is back to normal. Then introduce a single veg in small amount and monitor effect. If no issue, then at next feed time add another single veg and again monitor. That’s how I found out that broccoli and grass were Connie’s key triggers. It’s an ongoing process while you work out what started it. Good luck.

Tabybim

Junior Guinea Pig
Two of my pigs suffered from extremely bad bloat and the vet gave them infacol like for babies with colic and wind . You can buy it at the supermarket but do ask your vet about it first and for dosage. It really helped with my pigs.

Wiebke

Staff member
Two of my pigs suffered from extremely bad bloat and the vet gave them infacol like for babies with colic and wind . You can buy it at the supermarket but do ask your vet about it first and for dosage. It really helped with my pigs.
Hi! Please accept that we do no longer recommend infacol. It collects the gas in one big bubble instead of dispersing it, which can make things worse instead of better in some cases. The recommendation is from an experienced guinea pig keeping exotics nurse and parallels my own experiences.
Bloat, GI Stasis ( No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
I mentioned infacol to my vet when Puggle had acute bloat as I'd read about it as a possible treatment and she strongly advised against it, she said it could collect the gas in one place and rupture the gut. I guess it might depend on how severe the bloat and where the gas is though, Puggle had xrays and just had 2 enormous gas bubbles in a very narrow section of her small intestine...

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
@VickiA thanks alot for the food advice! That's really helpful.

@Tabybim thank you for the advice. I wouldn't use Infacol, I'm so glad it worked for your piggy though! I always keep some babies gripe water from the chemist on stand by which I used a few times with her before I got the ranitidine.

She seems alot better. Poops are staring to look normal. Phew! Let's hope it stays that way.

Wiebke

Staff member
@VickiA thanks alot for the food advice! That's really helpful.

@Tabybim thank you for the advice. I wouldn't use Infacol, I'm so glad it worked for your piggy though! I always keep some babies gripe water from the chemist on stand by which I used a few times with her before I got the ranitidine.

She seems alot better. Poops are staring to look normal. Phew! Let's hope it stays that way.
Just hang in there; severe bloat comes in waves so you are not fully out of the woods yet and won't be for the next few weeks.
But it is a very good sign that the poos are firming up and that things are moving in the right direction. Please read the advice in our bloat care guide.

Personally I have found gripe water better in dispersing gas. However, key to serious bloat treatment are zantac/ranitidine and emeprid, as gripe water is not strong enough on its own. And the other key is syringe feeding support to keep the guts moving and digestion running as much as possible. ;)

All the best for a full recovery!