• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Quick fix for dusty bedding

@Wizzy Hey! Yeah, I removed the woodshavings and have them on towels for the moment. Those pictures were older ones when they were on shavings. What were the symptoms of yours and how quick did they improve when you changed the bedding?
Mine originally had a very bad uri in may and are still recovering from it... my pig pepper would hoot and wheeze especially when the cage had just been filled with woodshavings or when it was close to clean out day. She also had a very crusty eye. Since changing from woodshavings the hooting and wheezing has almost disappeared completely and the only thing she has left is a crusty eye/ slight crusty nose.

@Wiebke @Betsy @Siikibam Hello all, just a quick update on the whole situation. She's had a few better days, but still not right. Definitely worse breathing when she's fast asleep, but seems quite lively when awake and roaming round. I'm not sure if this is a bad dominance thing, but the other pig is chasing her round the cage growling. It's very annoying, but they then sometimes start popcorning so it's either fun and games or dominance. I just want the other one to leave her alone until she gets her health back and it's annoying!

I'm not sure what it's like getting a pig back to full recovery, but do they have lapses sometimes and then pick up again? I thought she was making a good turn and today she was quite congested when resting, but then was better and then got worse it's a strange one. I thought if she's getting better it would be better with every given day.

Glad to hear she’s had better days. I think relapsing is dependent on what the piggy has. With regards your girl, I think because it’s an ‘unknown’ you can’t really tell when she will be better. It seems she’s at her worst when resting. i don’t know if you can do anything as such (apart from continue with the treatments) because she will nap on and off throughout the day.

As for her friend, sounds like normal dominance. It may be she’s in season, but in any case I would leave them to it for now. It’s annoying to you but to them it’s the norm, so try and see it as they’re just...being piggies.

I just want to say a big thankyou to everyone who has helped me on this case, you know who you are! @eileen @Wiebke @Betsy @Siikibam ... Sorry if I've missed anyone out. All I can do is continue with what the vets told me and little tips from you guys! Hopefully she will be fully recovered soon! Thankyou all :) I have more than tried and that's all I can do right now!

Just a quickie for anyone who may know, is there a antihistamine or anything of the sort for guniea pigs?

Just a quickie for anyone who may know, is there a antihistamine or anything of the sort for guniea pigs?

No, there isn't. You have to ask your vet whether and what product they think may be safe to use. True allergies in guinea pigs are rare.

PS: You will find that there is very little in the way of licensed medication for guinea pigs and that research on guinea pigs is lagging well behind that of other pets considering how common they are. They very much suffer from being seen as short-lived children's pets not worthy of attention. there has been more in recent years, and the range of meds being used for guinea pigs has massively increased compared just 10 years ago but it is still rather restricted and often on an adhoc experimental basis. :(

That's a shame! I didn't think there was anything because I did a search on the forum.

I'm wondering if the dose of Baytril for Fudge is too small to tackle anything that is there. She weighs 750grams and they have given me the 2.5 percent Baytril and 0.14 twice a day. I don't know if I should ring them and ask to up it or shall I just do it myself? What's your thoughts? It's like the dose now is stopping it from getting worse but also not strong enough to kill the bacteria or whatever is happening.

That's a shame! I didn't think there was anything because I did a search on the forum.

I'm wondering if the dose of Baytril for Fudge is too small to tackle anything that is there. She weighs 750grams and they have given me the 2.5 percent Baytril and 0.14 twice a day. I don't know if I should ring them and ask to up it or shall I just do it myself? What's your thoughts? It's like the dose now is stopping it from getting worse but also not strong enough to kill the bacteria or whatever is happening.

The baytril dosage depends on what it is being used against as well as the body weight. if you are not happy with the progress, then please contact your vet. PLease keep in mind that we haven't seen your girl and cannot comment on your vet's findings and their reasoning unless it is a standard situation.

@Wiebke

That's very true, I think I'll have a word with the vets tomorrow. She's had a bad turn again tonight and very congested and breathing very very hard due to it. I'm tempted to rush her to the vets but they can't do anything different to what I have done!

I have separated them both because Fudge just wants to rest at the moment as she's feeling under the weather clearly. Will they be okay apart for a couple of days? Maybe I'll put them in the run together tomorrow afternoon?

Regarding the hay you used for your pig when it was causing a issue what did you change too or is there a hay you can recommend? Maybe even a different nugget food? I'm just thinking anything now.

I must say when my two old guniea pigs passed away before Christmas I was grieving alot and me and my girlfriend at the time wanted me to go get more to try and help so we both went together and bought some, however they were from pets and home and someone said to me that's why she's I'll because the breeders for them are terrible. I haven't ever heard any stories of them being bad? Do you think this is the issue, but my girlfriend was just trying to help and I absolutely love them both and it really did help me move on from the others. Pets at home told me they have used the same breeder for years. I know a girl who had two from pets at home who lived until they were 8! Are they really that bad? @Siikibam @Betsy

The issue with (some branches of) pets at home is they do some times sell ill or pregnant piggies. They are from breeders but we don’t know what those breeders’ standards are like. I have to say I was put off by then when I went into the branch looking for my first piggies. Having said all that, there are some on here who got them from PAH. Some came with issues but ended up living well. Some haven’t. So I guess it’s a bit hit and miss. It’s not all branches though.

I don’t know if I would have separated them. If you’ve decided to do that then you can’t put them together for play time and separate afterwards. When you come to putting them together you will have to go through the introduction on neutral territory etc.

The issue with (some branches of) pets at home is they do some times sell ill or pregnant piggies. They are from breeders but we don’t know what those breeders’ standards are like. I have to say I was put off by then when I went into the branch looking for my first piggies. Having said all that, there are some on here who got them from PAH. Some came with issues but ended up living well. Some haven’t. So I guess it’s a bit hit and miss. It’s not all branches though.

I don’t know if I would have separated them. If you’ve decided to do that then you can’t put them together for play time and separate afterwards. When you come to putting them together you will have to go through the introduction on neutral territory etc.

I have them both on the floor right next to my bed. I just took the top of the cage off and put them together

But if you’re going to keep them separate during the rest of the day/night then you can’t keep putting them together. Each meeting is like a bonding session for them, which is interrupted. It can be/is stressful for them. Also, they may become territorial as they may feel the other piggy is invading their space. Did you just split the cage, and did you change the bedding?

I got my first 2 from P@H and Velvet was pregnant.which is how I ended up with 5. Velvet lived until last September when I had to have her PTS at 3¹/2. I overheard staff in the branch of P@H talking a couple of years after I got Velvet and Betsy and they were saying that a lot of Piggies had come in pregnant cos the breeder had gone on holiday and the person he left in charge hadn't separated the boys from the girls.

But if you’re going to keep them separate during the rest of the day/night then you can’t keep putting them together. Each meeting is like a bonding session for them, which is interrupted. It can be/is stressful for them. Also, they may become territorial as they may feel the other piggy is invading their space. Did you just split the cage, and did you change the bedding?

No, the poorly one was on her own on the floor for no more than ten minutes and she looked lost, so I put her friend in with her for the night. Bedding was changed to clean towels. She's had a much better night, a few massive sneezes etc and seems ok at the moment, but every time I say this she gets bad with the congestion etc. Maybe the antibiotics are working, but she's been on them for over 6 days now!

I was racking my brains to what was different in my room on the floor to their cage. The bedding and towels are the same and washed the same so can't be that. It was very hot yesterday so it could of been a hayfever thing? The main thing I'm thinking about is on their ramp between the spaces I have woven carpet to help with grip and assure them better. When I cut the carpet to size at the time it looked like little fibres coming off where it was cut and it gets quite hairy. I've taken the ramp out to see so I'm trialing stuff still. I may change the carpet to something else. It's either something like that or the medication is working, but after 6 days? Surely not... Wouldn't it of starter helping 2-3 days in.

It could be the weather or the carpet fibres from their ramp.

@Betsy oh, that's not good.. I have never heard of that from the branch of mine. A few people have got them from my local branch and been happy with them and as I said a few have had them live till 8 which is a ridiculous age for a Guniea pig! My old ones were around 6 and a half when one I presumed had a heart attack as she was found randomly passed away by her food bowl and the other had a growth on her face which couldn't be removed as it was in the middle of her face pushing into her eye and even if it was non cancerous, the quality of life with what she had was terrible and the vet said straight away he thinks it's time so we had her put to sleep and I have her ashes by my bed. My old guniea pigs were not bought from bets at home and from a breeder I found privately

@Wiebke I tried replying in a thread I searched regarding Olbas, but it said further posts were not allowed.

Isit safe to put a few drops of olbas on a couple of tissues and peg them to the outside of the cage so they can't eat it etc? Steaming works but I was thinking of a more time saving solution

Back