• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Quick Question... Boars And Sows In The Same Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rach1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've done a bit of research on this but not getting conclusive answers other than you just have to see how it goes.
Can you house male and female pigs in the same room- obviously in separate cages.
I've read many replies and responses across several site that say yes- we do it and it is fine.
And seem that say it's a huge no-no.

Hmmm....
Advice please.

The short answer is yes. We have 13 piggies in the same room - a mixture of pairs of boars, a trio of neutered boar and two sows, also a pair of sows. We try as much as possible to keep the boars on the opposite side of the room to the sows although we do have one pair of boars housed above the trio and it seems to be working out well. During cage clean we always clean out the boars first and the same goes for laptime. This is to minimise the transfer of scents from the sows to our clothing etc.

Here is a picture of one of our old set-ups, Originally with a pair of boars on top level and a single boar on the far right ( he was moved to the other side of the room once he got a cage mate ( forever friend ))
IMG_0270.JPG

Lisa & Ali...x

I've done a bit of research on this but not getting conclusive answers other than you just have to see how it goes.
Can you house male and female pigs in the same room- obviously in separate cages.
I've read many replies and responses across several site that say yes- we do it and it is fine.
And seem that say it's a huge no-no.

Hmmm....
Advice please.

Principally, yes. It depends on how much space you have got and whether you can keep boys and girls in separate rooms.

There are a few points you need to consider through:
- bonded boar pairs should be out of line of sight and ideally out of reach of sow pheromones. If possible, have your boars across the room or above the sow cages. This does not apply to live-alongside single boars or neutered boars living with a sow/with sows.
- it is much easier if your boys are growing up with sows around than if they are moved into a room full of sows at a later stage, which can lead to upsets.
- always clean, handle, groom and cuddle your boys before the girls. If they time share a run, boars go first and have ideally their own fleece etc. as sow scents can rouse them and lead to strains or even fights, especially when sows are in or close to their season. The same goes for lap blankets/pullovers/carriers etc.
- a lot depends on the age and the nature of the boar bond; a fragile bond between hormonal boars is a completely different beast to that of stably bonded older boars were there is a lot less testosterone coursing through the system.

Thank you for the replies.
Without posting the worlds longest post based on what you've said I'll give it a whirl.
I'm at home a lot so will keep a check on them and I can hear what's going on too.
I will try to keep them at opposite sides of the room or above the girls and remember what you've posted about handling them.

Well, I've finally got the piggy room done. Everyone in and accounted for.
The boys are all on one side of the room the girls on the other.
The boys are near the window so any breeze will blow the girls scent away from them on to the landing.
If that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back