• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Quiet Squeaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadisonAnn

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay so I have only had my little Walter for a week and a half. He is my first Guinea pig. I've done a load of research about health and what not. I noticed today that when he poops he makes very quiet squeaking noises. But when he isn't using the bathroom he seems fine. He popcorns like crazy, eats and drinks, and comes over to me for attention. I read that squeaking can mean bladder problems or something called impaction. But his poop is normal so I'm unsure of what to do. I do not think there are any vets near me that would look at a Guinea pig and if there was I don't have the money for any of that I don't think.

Hi! The squeaking has to quite audible and rather frequent for real concern, but I would keep an eye on him in case it gets worse and he may develop a urine infection. Bladder stones are very unusual young guinea pigs, as is impaction - the latter tends to occasionally happen in older boars with weakening muscles at the back.

Please make sure that he is on a balanced high-fibre, reasonably low calcium diet diet. Weigh him once weekly.
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight

How old is Walter? Please be aware that guinea pigs are group animals and should not be kept alone. However, please don't rush into buying him a companion blindly.
Companionship
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

It is also vital that you set money aside every week to build up a vet fund, so you (and your family) are able to pay for any emergency vet treatment whenever necessary. It never happens at a good time, and it can seriously affect the relationships in the whole family. Guinea pigs can go downhill very quickly; they cannot wait for days of heated arguments. :(
Make sure that you have got things at home that you can start syringe feeding your guinea pig as soon as it starts going off food whenever necessary until it can be seen and treated.
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful to tailor any advice to what is really avaible and doable where you are if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

I am going today to go and look at two possible companions for him. I wanted to wait a week or more and get his trust a little first. He is between four and five months so he is still a little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back