• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Vicky, Sorry but I couldnt understand most of what you printed. For starters what is raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant? What does lethal mean? etc..... etc...... ?

i let the kids who live near me stroke the boys if they've been good and sat quietly and watched Darce and Bing, but if the kids scare the boys then we go away.

i think kids can have pets as long as they look after them...i remember a friend of mind had hamsters and they left the cage open and they escaped- the family had a cat- am sure you get where the story ends.

its a respect and responsibility thing i think.

Raaaant! refers to an ongoing problem here of a certain pet shop continually missexing guinea pigs which results in people being over run and not being able to cope. these peolpe had taken their first litter back to the shop to get sexed so they could keep and care for the babies but then they sexed them, wrongly again so a boy was left with his sister and his mum getting them both pregnant. I get a phone call like this about once a month!
They are nice people but feel bad they are not giving the guineas the care they need, the housing was less than ideal and the hay etc was not given as oftenma sit had become too much to cope with. They were apparently in a worst state than usual but the people freely admitted they were not cared for well.
Lethal babies are the result of a dalmation coloured guinea pig mating with another dalmation and a roan mating with another roan guinea pig. A double set of each of these genes determining colour results in a pink eyed white baby with various health problems. a roan to roan mating produced babies with small eyes that are blind that can be healthy in other ways a dalmation cross dalmation mating results in pink eyed white babies with some opr no eyes, badly formed teeth, deafness and several other health problems.
The longest I have heard of any 'lethal' pink eyed white baby surviving is 2 years although many of the dalmation type die at birth.

This is what a microthalmic (product of a roan to roan mating) lethal baby looks like. The only healthproblems he has is blindness due to mal-foprmed eyes and is coping very well, hopefully he will live out a happy life here
285BlingBmarch.jpg

What a lovely boy, hope he continues to cope ok. :smitten:

poor little mite :'( :'( :'(

this will sound a bit strange...but is it only me who thinks that its kinda easy to tell the sex, surely when they picked up the piggies they realised that female piggies dont have testicles?

having said that...before i got piggies i looked in to how to sex a guinea pig- very glad i did as when i went to sea pets to look at Xavier they told me they didnt know if he was a he or a she....i personally thought the penis was a bit of a give away- could just be me though!

nutty_lou said:
poor little mite :'( :'( :'(
this will sound a bit strange...but is it only me who thinks that its kinda easy to tell the sex, surely when they picked up the piggies they realised that female piggies dont have testicles? having said that...before i got piggies i looked in to how to sex a guinea pig- very glad i did as when i went to sea pets to look at Xavier they told me they didnt know if he was a he or a she....i personally thought the penis was a bit of a give away- could just be me though!

i know myself personally 9 years ago when i bred guinea pigs it was very hard to sex the babies until they were around 3-6 weeks old, the girls were easy but 2 of the 3 boys i was unsure on. i think the poor little piggy is handsome and hoping he lives a happy full life :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
zoe is a strawberry roan not that we had any intentions of doing so but if we had bred her would this have happen? with another roan that is. i know there are way too many piggies needing homes but it would have been nice to have had little zoes running around :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: but as she is now safe i can only but dream, she is so gentle and laid back and a real little fighter i reckon she would have made a wonderful mum :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: okay of topic here, he is a gorgeous boy and you do a wonderful job and you are a saviour to these piggy babies 0:) 0:) 0:) sending lots of hugs :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: wish i lived closer so there was something i could do to help O0

There were two roan to roan matings
one litter had 2 pew lethals and 1 healthy baby
the other had 2 healthy babys and 1 pew lethal
It looks suspiciously like daughter is expecting again and maybe Mum so may be some more guineas on the way :o I am definately full now!

or i dont know common sense to take the babes to a vet?

I wouldnt breed guineas personally, but the people who owned Darce and Bing before me took the babes to the vet to be sexed so they could seperate them asap.

it just sucks that people can be this cruel- unintentionally or not.

The lady sexed the guineas herself properly once the second lot of babies were born. they sadly trusted the pet shop to sex the guineas correctly the second time. Yes mistakes were made but at least the guineas are being cared for now.

grrr pet shops :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

saying that yesterday i was wandering around the suffolk show pets corner bit and found some guinea pigs looking a bit ticked off being it was cold and wet....and there wasnt alot of food around other than grass :( but hey they came from a farm park so they must be looked after really, right?

I am afraid to say that when I first bought guinea pigs about 17 years ago, although I had purchased books on how to keep them etc, I relied on the pet shop to sex them correctly for me and I thought I was buying 2 brothers. It was a little local pet shop and yes, the lady owner seemed to know what she was doing. Or did she? :o

Yeap, you guessed it ... it wasn't 2 brothers! I had a brother and a sister and yeap, you guessed it again they were flirting with each other. Well, I thought the growling was a bit weird and thought they may be fighting. I took them to the organiser of a local cavy club who I tracked down and she told me the news, albeit with a little giggle. A boy and a girl and the girl is expecting!

Well, as the saying goes that it history now and not to blow my own trumpet, what I know about gp's now I could write a book.
Basically, that's where my love for gp's started and is still with me today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back