• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Ramps/2 Storey Hutches: do you use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm getting closer to adopting my first guinea pigs - and I'm tossing up a few hutch options. One I'm watching on eBay is a two storey hutch with an enclosed upstairs 'room'. There's a ramp for the pigs to go up and down.

Would the pigs use the upper level? Or have trouble using the ramp?

I HAVE ONE haha.

ummm... the first thing that happened was they run too far and fell down the hole but they were okay. Then one ran OUT of the hutch and onto my lap.

They skid and slide to begin with but mine were fine after a couple of hours. Obviously every piggies different. I'm going to buy an off cut of carpet and pop that on the ramp because I think it'd give them some better grip, and i'm going to make like a banister going round the hole so that they don't fall, silly creatures.

I am probably going to be selling my hutch soon because I want to make a C&C, how much are you paying on Ebay? xx

Thanks! Haha aw they fell down? I'll keep that in mind. I paid $80 Australian. Which seems pretty decent, a lot of smaller hutches are a lottt dearer in the petshops. ($200+)

Do many people use two storey hutches? I have a choice of the 2 storey one and a long triangular one that looks like a toblerone. Haha. Both have a sheltered room and open bottoms to place on grass.

Yeah but it's because they didn't realise.... :( silly!That's not bad, I payed 99 pounds for mine....so I guess that's about the same as your $ I'm' not sure? I was going to offer you my hutch as we want to sell it completely forgetting yourin oz... ha! That would've been funny!

x

I have a two story hutch, which I have had to close off to seperate my 4 piggies because the top floor is unsuitable for baby pigs, they do fall down the hole and the older two so far havent used the ramp. I have found a product on ebay which I'm going to buy, it is basically a fleece ramp tunnel that you velcro onto the ramp! :)) It is a brilliant idea as it also stops them falling down the hole. If you google "cosycavies" you will find the website, where the owner will take measurements and make them to order. Hope this helps!

We have a 2 storey hutch, but mine will not venture up the ramp at all.

I've enticed them with bits of veg, treats etc, but they just make their bodies look twice as long whilst stretching to reach the treats LOL. ;)

Will try them again in the warmer weather, as the hutch is now cleaned and covered up for the winter. :)

Beth xx

I have a 2 storey hutch. The youngest smallest guinea pigs have no problem with the ramp, my oldest much bigger one can use it but doesn't do so very often. She likes to hang out upstairs although I will tend to put her in the bottom bit so she gets a change and excersise- not to be cruel! She does get the use of an inside run every other day x

Two of my lads are in a two storey. They have been in since they were six weeks old. The ramp is covered in roofing felt, so no probs with skidding. They have always used it. Along the the 'top thin edge' which is alongside the hole I have a snack shack tunnel so they go through that rather than along the ledge bit. No accidents in over two years. (touch wood). Some hutches though seem to have very steep ramps, leading to a run/more open bit downstairs. Mine is really not that steep. xx

We had a beautiful horribly expensive three story hutch, our eldest three would occasionally venture down the ramps, but it was quite rare. Our babies never mastered the ramps, subsequently the top layer became busy and the middle layer and bottom didn't get as much use! Also our boy damaged his ankle, and I'm still not sure if he could have fallen off one of the ramps. We'll never know, now they live inside in a C&C B-) X x

I brought a very large 2 storey from p@h the two younger ones would use the ramp, the older ones couldnt or wouldnt get the hang of it. I converted it into 2 separate appartments for a while but now because the girls get so much floor time they all live on the bottom and the top is used for storing their bedding. Although when Panda was poorly she and her friend were moved upstairs until she recoverd.

I recently brought a two storey hutch from P@H and my two boys dont seem to have a problem using the ramp, it did take them a while to get used to it but now they love it x

I've got a huge pink princess castle 2 storey hutch (well it's my 7yr old daughters) and the girls were a little bit nervous of the ramp to start with but I used to put them in the bottom on the grass and they'd find their way back upstairs.
The ramp's closed off now because of winter approaching and there's is no base on the bottom level so I don't want them getting cold.
I've just moved my boys in to a 2 storey hutch (from ebay) today and Alfie won't venture out of the bedroom unless it's for food and Albie just won't stay still he's running up and down the ramp like a nutter.
They've got the bedroom upstairs and some food and water and downstairs is their playroom also with food and water and hidy hole boxes, this hutch has a floor on the bottom shelf so they can use it all year round and it can be turned in to 2 hutches.
My smaller girls are in a single floor hutch as I was scared they might fall off the ramp but they seem to be enjoying it.

Our pigs live in a two storey hutch. This is the second one they've had :) None have had a problem with the ramp, although it is a bit steeper than the first hutch.

Some people have found old carpet or vetbed (or roofing felt like Nutmeg) encourage pigs to use them as it gives them good grip. Some have found their pigs will only use the ramp if it's covered - maybe with a piece of pipe

My boys have a 5ft long double hutch which i found on freecycle, with a ramp at first they were a bit unsure about what to do with the ramp. So i placed one pig at the top and the other at the bottom, as they called to each other they realised they could use the ramp to get up and down.I also placed them on the bottom and on the top, adding veggies to the stairs to encourage them to go up.

I also used a cut off from my fleece fabric to make it easier for the piggies to grip onto the stairs.
steps.jpg

Hope this helps x

AudioHeart - that ramp looks really similar to the one in my hutch, the fleece is a good idea!

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm going to pick up my two girls on Monday, from the sounds of it the young piggies catch on quicker, so I hope they'll be fine!

Awwww cant wait to see pigtures, good luck with setting up the hutch :)

I've tried one but my piggies wouldn't use the ramp so it was a waste of space really.

My hubbies making a 2 storey hutch at the moment. I have a latch door for over the hole so that they can be up in the warm of a nightime, and it will be locked.

my pigs don't mind using the ramp soon as i put them in there they were up and down it x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back